Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Jumping into the Paella Tradition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jumping into the Paella Tradition
    Posted: 21 September 2010 at 05:31
Well, I finally broke down and ordered myself a nice paella pan online. It seems to be the exact model that Ron used while making his delicious looking paella earlier this year. I got it at the world market website, and it was only $15.00!....$4.50 shipping, but who the hell is going to complain about that?

Now I'm going to be jonesin' for paella big time until this comes in. I promise to make a batch and post it when it gets here.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 06:04
Big time congratulations! Clap Now you can enjoy one of Spain's finest meals, all the while learning how easy it is to prepare. You all are set for the right ingredients having access to all that good fresh seafood; wow.

Glad to hear of your great pricing deal, can't beat it. You did great on that and now it looks like we have a triumvirate in the Forum for National Paella Day!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 06:22
We will indeed my friend. Hasn't  that already passed by? Yep...it has...it's March 27th...Well, there's always next year I suppose, but I'm itching to get some made up. I have a great Portugese market right down the street Seabra, that carries all the dried chourico and the fresh as well, lots of bomba rice, and I already have mucho saffron. This is going to be fun!Wink
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 07:18
congrats! you're on your way now! looking forward to the pix of the new pan, and also your first paella!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 14:07
Is a paella pan necessary to make paella?
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 16:48

Apparently not Coxie...here's a link from cook's illustrated where they used a dutch oven, and I've also heard some folks have had success with a large skillet.

apparently not Coxie
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2010 at 21:36
Well, to the traditionalist, and the Spaniard, you cannot have a paella without a "paellera" or paella pan. It is the design, made to be used over a charcoal/wood fire that is critical to get the "costra" (spanish) or "soccorrat" (basque) brown crusty rice at the botom that everyone loves.

Sort of like making a hamburger without the bun and using sliced bread instead. You end up with a hamburger sandwich, not a real hamburger. Smile
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2010 at 11:49
all this talk got me thinking i need to do another one, perhaps this weekend.

i'll be missing a few ingredients that i used last time, most notably the chorizo sausage, but i will have the main requirements: the pan, the rice and the saffron!

i am thinking venison ~ any suggestions for other ingredients, vegetables etc? i'm on a bit of a budget, but should be able to but something reasonable together.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 02:33
Boy, I'll tell you Ron...those folks at world market sure do ship fast. I ordered this pan on Tuesday, and it showed up yesterday (Thursday) at noon. I'm thinking we may both be doing a paella this weekend Thumbs Up

I had just given it the initial boil, and was about to scrub it when this was taken. Finished that and oiled it up, and I am good to go!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 04:06
As far as suggestions for what to make with the venison....do you have anything left in the garden? Obviously green beans, tomatoes and onions spring to mind. Garlic...maybe even a chili pepper or two...you planning on beef or chicken stock Ron?
Basically, I think I'd do something close to the classic paella done with rabbit...it should work well with venison, don't you think?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 09:27

normally with venison i use a combination of beef and chicken stock, which seems to be better than either individually when bringing out the essence of the wild game. another thing i just reememebred is that a few years ago i actually made some vensions stock and put it in the freezer in ziplock bags, a cup or pint at a time. i only used it a couple of times, so tehre might be some left and there's no reason why it wouldn't be any good, since it was frozen. i just may give that a try.

as for the garden, it is running so far behind due to the late planting that i am afraid we're not going to get much from it. we've gotten lots of radishes and a few beets and some squashes are starting to go good. the problem is that we had our first freeze this week. it was very brief, but of course it was enough to get me concerned. #2 son mike has been taking good care of the garden this summer (except for weeding!) and we've had good rain, but i am jsut not sure it is going to be enough. would lovve to have a few bushels of tomatoes to can this year, but i don't tink its going to be in the cards.

for the paella, i am thinking of getting some fresh green beans or perhaps peas. along with the onion and garlic, that may do. i am relcutant to use peppers but some carrot shavings would provide a nice colour and flavour - and we just might have a few of those in the garden.

with the venison itself, i plan to cut it into strips or cubes and then saute it before using it in the paella. i got to thinking that grilling the meat pror to using it in the paella might be an option as well! where's our resident paella expert when we need him?Shocked

how about you any particular plans for yours?
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 11:45
Unfortunately my paella plans are now on the back burner. Won't happen this weekend as we are flat out with my social director's (Rita) commitments.

I think the carrot idea is wonderful Ron...if you julienne or shred it, it will add a certain sweetness to the entire dish. I don't see a single thing wrong with marinating and grilling the venison first, either...I think it would be and awesome dish. You could saute' the veggies, get the broth and rice ready as you grill, then toss it all together.

I'm getting tummy pangs just thinking about it. Looking forward to the post!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2010 at 14:24
Aarrg! No carrots....please no carrots! Yuck. Some reason I do not htink carrots have ever belonged in a paella, and if they ever were, a grand Inquisitor roasted that poor chef over a spit. Seriously. As far as grilling the meat prior to, that sounds delicious and see no reason why not. A rabbit or squirrel roasted on a stick over a fire as the paella was being prepared sounds logical and would certainly add a nice flavor. Green beans, peas, garlic, onions....that's all great. SOunds like you are in for a feast! Don't forget to make some nice bread to go with it...makes the whole meal better.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2010 at 19:17
Yes, you've got the right idea for paella. Although I admit to overdoing it sometimes, that's just 'cause we love the seafood! The author of the article hits some good points:

Sherry is an ingredient, that the "normal, article or recipe" paellas will never share or admit, possibly because they don't even know. I add white wine as a matter of course to mine, since that is how I learned it growing up. Why not sherry...why not? Use a nice one, dry  "palomino" or as she said a "manzanilla" and you're set! Nothing wrong with that at all. Use what the recipe's region offers and you really can't go wrong. Certainly the locals have used any and all their area's offerings at one time or another...even carrots. Wink

Some of the best paellas are simple ones. Decide what kind you want to make and then consider the size of your Paella (pan). Imagine the rice that will expand and then you'll discover that the major ingredients fall into place for you. Fit them in and you are set for some feasting.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 12:39
Well boys and girls....just ordered my Bomba rice from La Tienda. Not so bad a price as I have seen other places. Shipping is what really hurts...paid $13.95 for a kilo of rice, and another $7.00 to ship.
Well, I figure a kilo of Bomba will get me through many, many, many good paellas, so I'm not about to start bitching about the price.

I'll let you folks know if the shipping turns out the way it was purported to be.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 14:36

yo're going to really like this rice, dave. if my memory is correct, it should be very similar to, if not the same as, abrorio and calasparra rice. very good stuff!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2010 at 15:07
Dave you are gonna be a very happy man! Bomba is calasparra rice from Spain and that store is 100% top notch and reliable. You have any issue with their goods and they will refund and apologize immediately. It is a family operation from folks who understand customer service and quality goods. Unfortunately they are not inexpensive. I have shopped with them since they were an unknown outfit that got traffic through word of mouth. Back then they were incredibly cheap for the products they sold. IN the last 5 years or so they have wizened up and started charging National level retail prices for their goods, not that they shouldn't but unsettling when I remember what I USED to pay. They sure picked up on the "charge high prices and folks will assume its the best" business mentality when they already had the best of Spain for sale. Oh well....

Check out their pimenton (Spanish Paprika). Their 3 pack samplers are still a great buy and the best quality I have seen anywhere yet. You need their Smoked Paprika in your cupboard.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 05:51
Well, it's a done deal. My Bomba rice will be here tomorrow, so I have two forum members and their spouses (dcummings and J PEEP) coming over Saturday evening  for the experiment.  At this point in time it looks like the main proteins will be chicken, chourico, shrimp, littlenecks, mussels and crab claws.

I'll keep you posted as to how everything works out.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 08:54
That sounds excellent! Don't forget some good wine to go with it and crusty bread. You all are going to have a treat Thumbs Up
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2010 at 09:08
yes indeed - prepare for a wonderful feast!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic