Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Is Better Than Bouillon On The Ropes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is Better Than Bouillon On The Ropes?
    Posted: 01 July 2020 at 01:02

As many of you know, there are several of us who have lauded Better Than Bouillon to the skies.  Alas, I fear that’s over.

Awhile back I opened a new jar of their Roasted Beef flavor. It didn’t look right. The color was off, being an anemic brown instead of the deep black I’m used to. And the consistency was grainy.

Perhaps, I thought, they’d changed the formula, and tried to use it.  My spoon barely entered the paste when it was stopped by something hard.  Scraping away the paste, I encountered a hard, white, plastic-like disc, which was like a cap covering the contents about a quarter inch down.

Turns out, this was a disc of hardened fat, about an eighth of an inch thick.

Not wanting to take a chance, I tossed it.  Friend Wife went to the store to replace it.  The new jar, though lacking the plastic disc, had the same pale color and grainy texture.

I immediately emailed the company, explaining the problem, and asking for an explanation. That was almost four months ago, and, to date, I’ve not heard back from them.

Now, I know the Covid thing has put everyone in the weeds, and can understand delays from customer service people.  But, when we’re talking about a potential problem involving food safety, four months is unconscionable.

I’ve stopped using BTB flavor bases altogether, as a result, and have been searching for a replacement.  One that, after limited use, I've been pleased with is the kitchen Accomplice brand.

These are more liquid-like than the paste type like BTB.  But they seem to be richer.  Stock made from their chicken flavor had more taste, and had the yellow I remember from my Mom’s home-made stuff. 

As a side benefit, it’s somewhat lower in sodium than the BTB.

I haven’t used the Kitchen Accomplice bases enough, yet, to fully endorse them. But, so far, I’m happy with them. 

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 02:40
Thanks for the heads up Brook...I'll have to check out that Kitchen Accomplice brand.
Go ahead...play with your food!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 10:28
Yes, thanks for the update! I'll definitely be on the lookout for the kitchen accomplice brand. I too have noticed that the chicken BTB that I always use has been a lot more granular. I hadn't notice a change in flavor, but I hadn't really been looking for it either. I like the idea of lower sodium for sure though. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2020 at 18:17
Just keep in mind that the Kitchen Accomplice is a liquid, not the paste of BTB.  So it takes twice as much; 2 teaspoons per cup as opposed to one.  But the squeeze bottle claims the same number of servings as BTB, at a comparable or slightly lower cost.  

I need to get over to their web site.  Locally, only chicken and beef are available, but I'm confident there are others. 
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2020 at 19:40
Haven't bought BTB lately (too pricey) but agree that it was about the best. Tone's Soup Bases were about the same. You might try them if you can find them. Used to be available at Sam's Club. Don't know if they still are. I lost access to SC years ago.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 09:37
Good tip, Tom.  I'll check it out next time we're at Sam's.

European friends swear by Knorr bases. But I've never seen anything but their cubes and powders here in the States.

BTW, I checked the Kitchen Accomplice site, and they offer a vegetable base as well. 
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2020 at 13:42
Anybody tried this? https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/chicken-soup-base/c-24/p-1628/pd-s

eaglssong View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglssong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 08:05
Used the Kitchen Accomplice Chicken base yesterday for the first time in a crockpot meatball and veggie soup.

The soup was really good, and as much as I’ve been a big fan of BTB, the squeeze bottle and thinner consistency of the KA have converted me.  Love the lower sodium as well.

Thanks for putting me on to this stuff oh Historic Foodie brother of mine.  You know I’m a huge fan of anything that makes my life easier.
I’m a pothead (Instantpot that is)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2020 at 10:23
Haven't tried it, Melissa. But I've never heard anything but good about Penzey's products, so it's certainly worth a try.

Initially it seems more expensive than the others.  But, apparently, it's more concentrated, so you use a lot less: 1/2-34 tsp for the Penzey's, vs. 1 tsp for the BTB, and 2 tsp for the Kitchen Accomplice. So it's probably a wash, money-wise.

Glad it worked out for you eaglessong.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic