Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Chicken with Peppers Roman-Style

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chicken with Peppers Roman-Style
    Posted: 30 May 2021 at 04:56

Pitrow,

Lovely dish ..  

Shall give it a go next week ..  

Thanks for posting.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 10:46
I tried a version of this that I'd found on the interwebs last week. It was a big hit. The main differences were the recipe I used had diced tomatoes instead of puree and had chopped prosciutto, and slightly different herbs. It's definitely on the "make again" list. It was on the wet side though, so I think I'll reduce or even remove the chicken stock next time.

Roman-style chicken
4 boneless skinless breast halves
2 chicken thighs
1/2 tsp + 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp +  1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
3 oz prosciutto, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup white wine
1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp fresh oregano leaves
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 Tbsp capers
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

1. Season the chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
  2. In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot cook the chicken until browned on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
  3. In the same pan, add the bell peppers, prosciutto and cook until peppers have browned and prosciutto is crisp, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute
  5. Add tomatoes, wine, herbs, remaining salt and pepper and deglaze the pan
  6. Return chicken to pan, add stock, bring to boil.
  7. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the chicken is cooked (165 degrees) about 20-30 minutes
  8. Add capers and garnish with parsley
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
MyPinchofItaly.co.uk View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyPinchofItaly.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 07:25

Pollo con i Peperoni alla Romana in Italian Language, is at least as Roman as the Fontana di Trevi and the Colosseum.

There are those who cook peppers separately by adding them to the chicken later and those who, like us, cook them directly together with the chicken. Whatever you choose, peppers that cook over low heat with the chicken release such a delicious cream that you have to mop up with at least a quintal of bread for the final Scarpetta.

Serves 4, Preparation time 10 mins, Cooking time about 1 hour 1/2

• 1 kg of chicken in pieces
  • 1 yellow pepper, 1 red pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 1 onion
  • 1 glass of dry white wine
  • salt and black pepper, to taste
  • EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, , about 3 tbsp
  • Rosemary, a sprig
  • Tomato puree, 6 tbsp

Method

Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper and put them in a large saucepan with 3 tablespoons of Evoo oil and a sprig of rosemary.

Brown them well for at least 15 minutes turning them from time to time to brown on all sides. Then smoke with the white wine, turn up the heat for a few minutes just to let the alcohol evaporate.

In the meantime wash peppers, remove the cap and the white filaments and slice them into strips.

Now add the peppers, the tomato puree, the whole clove of garlic and the diced onion to the chicken.

Add salt, cook chicken with peppers on a low heat for about 1 hour and covered with a lid, stirring occasionally.

Chicken with peppers is ready.

Serve hot.

www.mypinchofitaly.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic