Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Global Menu Plan

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global Menu Plan
    Posted: 03 April 2020 at 10:49

Over the past few years I’ve done more than a few explorations of global food.  Now I’ve a chance to show off some of what I’ve learned. I’m doing a sit-down dinner party for some folks, who are intrigued with my culinary discoveries and adaptations. There will be eight at table for this event.

I thought it would be fun to post my proposed menu plan, both for comments and suggestions, and, perhaps, to encourage others in our community to compose their own celebrations of world cuisine.

App: Seafood Crostini three ways.

-Olive spread topped with grilled shrimp (General Med)

-Creamy Sardine spread (Portuguese) topped with Sweet & Sour Pearl Onions (Provence)

-Crispy Fish in Spiced Mayo and Walnut Sauce (Georgia)

Bread Basket: 

-Mountain Bread (Lebanon).     -

- Semolina Buns (Sicily)

-Savory Danish Crown (Denmark)

Breads accompanied by ramekins of plain, orange-honey, and anchovy butters.

Soup: Kohlrabi Soup (Hungary)

Salad:  White Radish Salad (Turkey)

Main Course:

-Grilled, Stuffed Pork Loin (Serbia)

-Bell Pepper Paprikash (Ukraine)

-Rice with Carrots and Lemon (Spain)

Dessert: Cappuccino Layered Pana Cotta (Italy)

I have posted most of these recipes, at various forums, here.  If you’re interested in any of these dishes, and can’t find it (our search engine is a lot of things, but efficient is hardly one of them), let me know.  I’ll be happy to post the recipe for you.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 08:17
This sounds like quite a project.  And a lot of fun. 

Having done the Serbian stuffed pork loin, it, like any pork loin cook, can finish up a little dry.  This may not follow the recipe but I would suggest an overnight brine for the pork followed by an injection the next morning. I use apple juice but don't know if that would be keeping with Serbian flavors. Then rub (if using) wrap tightly with plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for several hours.  You can then butterfly and continue as usual although I would suggest cooking indirect and finishing direct for a bit of char.  Butterflying and stuffing a lean cut like a pork loin doesn't do it any favors.  Pull when internal temp of the pork itself reaches 145ºF.

Kind of an odd time to be hosting a dinner party Wink

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 13:29
I don't see the recipe for Sweet & Sour Pearl Onions (Provence). Have you got it handy?
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2020 at 18:46

Sure thing, Melissa,

SWEET & SOUR PEARL ONIONS

2 lbs pearl onions

½ cup wine vinegar

6 tbls olive oil

3 tbls sugar

6 tbls tomato paste

2 bay leaves

4 sprigs parsley

1 cup raisins

Salt & pepper to taste

Peel the onions.

Put all ingredients in a pan with 2 ½ cps water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer, uncovered, about 45 minutes until onions are tender and most of the liquid evaporated. Do not stir mixture as it cooks, or onions will break up.

Remove the bay leaves. Adjust seasoning as needed.

Serve at  room temperature.

Note: Do not mix colors of the onions, they cook at different times.  So, use all yellow, red, or white.  

Do you know the simple way of peeling pearl onions?

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 15:11
Thanks! No; peeling them takes me forever.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 18:10
I know what you mean.  But try this:

Cut off the roots. Blanch the onions in boiling water for about a minute. Let them cool to the touch. 

Then squeeze from the blossom end.  The onion will pop out of the skins. No fuss, no muss. 

Not only is this easier, there's a lot less waste then from hand-peeling them. 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2020 at 18:44
Sounds MUCH easier. Thanks!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2020 at 15:49

Great advice, Historic Foodie.

Hope all is well ..

I have read that the Covid 19 is spreading rapidly.  

Stay well and use a mask and gloves when you go to market or pharmacy.

You too Melissa.

Take care. 

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2020 at 07:45
Whoops! Just realized I'd left out the sugar in the recipe---the sweet side of sweet & sour.

I've edited the recipe to reflect it.

Sorry.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic