Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Sellerie Salat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sellerie Salat?
    Posted: 14 March 2020 at 07:03
when we lived in Germany in the 70s I enjoyed having sellerie salat. Anyone have an authentic recipe for this? Celery root which I think this is made from is hard to find. I did find it but it was so hard and tough it was impossible to shred. Any suggestions?
Maternal grand parents immigrated from Ukraine to Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 07:39
Jim, many supermarkets carry it. If not under the name celery root, look for celeraic.  Once you see one you can't mistake it for anything else; its a roundish, knobly, kind of ugly looking thing.  

There are several forms of selerie salat, differing primarily in how they are dressed. But they share two things in common; they are, as you remember, based on celery root. And almost all of them contain apple as well.  
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
sailrjim View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 08:50
Thanks. What we would get in the Kaiserslautern area had a dressing of what just looked like milk. Not sure of any other incredients. I don't recall there being any apple in it.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 08:56

I have seen this vegetable in 3 forms.

1) a hairy large round ugly sort of root vegetable - the size of a SOFTBALL SIZE  with horizontal hairiness. 

Of course one needs the proper "knife" or "ax" to Split it open .. so it can be sliced and boiled without hair exterior.

2) jars from  Bulgaria and Romania and other Eastern European countries .. just heat up stove top or micro wave .. 

3)  as Preparing  mashed potatoes -  mash the celeriac and add cream or milk, butter, salt and pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.

Selerie Salat = This is French and this vegetable does grow in Alsace in small quantities.   

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
sailrjim View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2020 at 09:12
Thank you. I found it once but it was impossible to cut into and shred. I gave up. Do you know what the jars from bulgaria, etc. might be called?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 07:17
Interesting that you call it French, Margi.  A google search reveals very few entries in English, but there are pages after pages of recipes, all in German.  There's also at least one German company selling it in jars, primarily in Germany and France.

The fact that celery root is grown in Alsace, and made into a salad, shouldn't come as a surprise, considering the Germanic influences in that region. 

Jim, I've heard that complaint before, but I've never experienced it.  Maybe it has to do with various "peeling" methods.  For something as dense as celery root, I use my chef's knife, rather than a vegetable peeler. 

In terms of dressings, I haven't uncovered any made with milk, as yet. The most common are mayonnaise, yogurt, and vinaigrette.  

The more I look at this, the closer it gets to the top of my "to do" list.  It really sounds great!

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 09:17
It's definitely a dense, hard to cut thing. I use it in my Dutch pea soup. Luckily the stuff around here is mostly peeled already. Just have to wash it good and cut out some of the spots where the roots form a pocket with the root ball and hold the dirt in there exceptionally well. I've never tried to shred it though, I can imagine that being a royal pain.

I wonder if you couldn't throw it in the microwave and par cook it a bit to soften it up before cutting/peeling/shredding?
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
sailrjim View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 15:33
The mayo and/or yogurt sounds about right. very watered down. I have wondered about a bit of microwaving it to soften it up.

I would love to find already shredded jars of it! 

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2020 at 18:17
Most recipes suggest par-boiling the root before using it.  For instance, I once made a celeraic parmesan. For it, the root was first peeled, then the whole thing boiled until tender. Once at that point, it got thickly sliced, and used like any other base, i.e., chicken, veal, eggplant, etc.

I suspect, in the recipe you linked to, that leaving the skin on softens it, and makes the whole thing easier to peel. 

sailrjim View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailrjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2020 at 02:19
Thanks!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2020 at 19:04
Originally posted by sailrjim sailrjim wrote:

Thanks. What we would get in the Kaiserslautern area had a dressing of what just looked like milk. Not sure of any other ingredients. I don't recall there being any apple in it.

This? https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/215049/milk-vinegar-salad-dressing/
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2020 at 10:44
Good find, Melissa.  And likely one of the dressings---perhaps the most common one---used on this salad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic