Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Outdoor cookery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wannabebwana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Outdoor cookery
    Posted: 19 May 2019 at 13:47
Picked up a used Vision Cadet Kamado today. In great condition, it also has the full stand so it’s at a proper height for cooking.

I tend to buy these types of things used because they’re way over-priced as new. I’ll give it a trial run next weekend.

So, now I have the Kamado,

a Bradley Smoker (which I picked up used a few weeks ago),

a MasterCraft smoker which is well used but I’ve never been happy with the setup and will deal it off,

a Brinkman Kettle (which I also don’t like as it’s too hard to regulate the temp and will sell off) and

a new Weber Genesis propane bbq (my first one lasted over 20 years and still cooked as good as new. I left it behind in the divorce because the frame was so rusted I couldn’t move it).

And my propane turkey fryer which I use for fish boils, chicken wing parties and other deep-frying needs. Also works for boiling deer heads to make European mounts.

I’ll use the Weber for everyday grilling, the Bradley as a set-it-and-forget-it smoker for various things, and the Kamado when I want to spend the day creating masterpieces.

I also have a cast iron Dutch oven for use when I go camping which, unfortunately, isn’t often enough any more.

I used to have a smoker with the offset firebox. It was cheap but I loved the product from it. Unfortunately, it required a lot of babysitting as the firebox was so small I had to refill it every hour. Maybe a Trager is in my future.

What have you got?
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 13:09
For cooking over campfires, I've got various cast iron skillets, a 6-quart Dutch oven (the kind with three stubby legs) and a large, rectangular cast iron griddle.

For barbecue, I've got the typical 40" offset smoker, with a few modifications as outlined here:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/modifications-for-brinkmann-charbroil-smokers_topic203.html

I also have a MasterBuilt 30" electric smoker, for those days when I am unable to devote time and effort to tending a stick burner.

For grilling, I have a 22.5" Weber Kettle that doesn't see as much use as it should, and a 2-burner gas grill that is the workhouse of our grilling efforts.

The weather is getting decent, so I hope to be putting all of this to more use, soon.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2019 at 01:53
As an 18-century living historian, and authority on colonial cookery, I can't begin to count the cast-iron and other cookware I have---including several Dutch ovens and Spiders each in various sizes, numerous pots, etc.  I even have a hand-forged ember rake I made myself when I worked as an interpreter at Fort Boonesboro.

On top of all that, I have an offset grill/smoker that I make do with, but have never really liked, and a 5-burner gas grill that was a mistake.  If the Lord had intended us to use gas for outdoor cooking, he'd have never of given us wood and charcoal to begin with. 

I'd love to have a Green Egg, but they're cost prohibitive, in my opinion.  
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 05:07
-Likely use my Pit Boss Pellet Grill for 75% of my outdoor cooking and baking. I use Heating Pellets that are $5 for a 40 lb bag-outperforming expensive manufacturer pellets costing $40 or more
-My gas grill is mostly used as a warming oven for outdoor parties.
-Bradley 4 rack digital for jerky and sausage, but do not use the pucks as they are cost prohibitive-I use a cold smoke maze accessory called the Cue.
-Chiminea for backyard Weenie Roasts with the grandkids
-Bogracs for hunting and fishing camp.
-Numerous Dutch Oven and deep Cast Lidded Chicken Fryers
-Portable gas grills for road trips
-Salt Block on a grill rack over the campfire for Shrimp Skewers and stick foods

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2019 at 07:27
I primarily use a Primo XL oval ceramic for its versatility. I have owned it since 2006.  The thing that separates it from other ceramic grills is the shape.  Because of this I can cook true indirect or smoke an entire salmon.  

The Primo XL performs as a grill, a smoker and an outdoor oven with many different configuration possibilities.  Dividing the firebox enables it to cook a single hamburger or, undivided, slow smoking enough food for dozens of people. One rack of ribs or as many as 15.  One pork butt or 50lbs. It can smoke cheese or it can bake pizzas at 600+ degrees.  I have all of the options including griddle(s), cast iron grate(s), extension racks, drip pans holder(s) and pans, pizza stone(s), electronic pit controller etc.  It is a "one thing can do it all" piece of equipment and I have since discarded my Weber kettles (18", 22" and smokey Joe).  My gas burner grills have also fallen by the wayside.

I have outfitted many outdoor excursions into the "wild" with my Camp Chef 3 and 2 burner propane stoves.  I have grill box accessories for these should I ever feel the need for propane grilling which I never do.

I also own enough cast iron pots, with and without legs, to cook for a small army in the outback although I would do this more as a theatrical gesture than a practical one.  Cast iron pots/lids are heavy and more difficult to clean than light weight propane use pots.   Instead of fire building for the legged CI pots, I would use charcoal in old circular metal oil changing pans.  Leg free pots were always placed on the Camp Chef(s).

I've done many mountain bike trips along the White Rim Trail in Utah's Canyonlands National Park this way.  Cooking for 15 on a dessert trail and keeping them moving along is a trip and a half.

emmanuelglover View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmanuelglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2020 at 13:10
Hey everyone! With all this pandemic going on, spending some time outdoors has become a real privilege.Since I have a lot of spare time now, I have found myself a new hobby - barbecue. Last month I bought myself a very good grill from https://grillongrillaction.com/, great store by the way and very fast delivery. Now that it's warm outside and our family is lucky enough to own a house, we spend almost every evening in the back porch relaxing by the grill and enjoying fresh air. I am afraid to imagine how people who live in flats deal with this situation.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic