Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Mid-Eastern Ingredients Source

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid-Eastern Ingredients Source
    Posted: 23 April 2019 at 07:09
One problem with Mid-Eastern cooking is sourcing the myriad of special ingredients, especially those rare and offbeat ones.

Then  I discovered The Persian Basket (www.persianbasket.com), an on-line grocery that stocks an amazingly broad range of ingredients.  I don't know of another place that can provide the depth of products stocked by this company. 

More important is the service level. Not many are its equal.

Here's an example. I recently placed a rather large order that included golpar, Commonly called Persian Hogweed and Angelica, this is a really special herb found only in Iran, and all but impossible to find anywhere else.  When the package arrived it contained everything I'd ordered except the golpar. There was, however, an envelope labeled marjoram.  Hmmmm?

I emailed the company, and got a very rapid response. They explained that in Iran, marjoram is one of the common names, and what I received was, indeed, golpar.  

I sent of a thank-you email, expressing my pleasure at both their quick response, and clarification.  Soon enough I got another email from them that amounted to being a thank you for my thank you.

Now that's customer service.  

Anyway, if you're looking for Mid-Eastern ingredients, I urge you to give them a try.  I think you'll be happy with both the products and service.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 11:54
Thank you for posting. My wife lived in Tehran for 3 years in the mid 70's. I need to hide this from her or my food budget will be blown.Smile
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2019 at 16:40

Thank you for posting. 

Spain, being so close to Morocco, we have a fairly large Moroccan community in Barcelona and Madrid. We have incredibly amazing Moroccan Kiosks in the Central Markets. Couscous is sold in oak barrels by the gram and  kilo measurement system and spices which enchant .. 

Marseille only a one hour flight is another Moroccan community, the largest in The E.U.  And their Moroccan markets, and Bazaars are just fascinating as well. 

We also have one El Corte Ingles which is the oldest department store in Spain and it houses and incredible supermarket, in which there are sections:  French, Greek, Mid Eastern, Japanese, Thai, Greek,  Chinese etcetra ..  So with this in mind, there is no need to buy online and pay shipping costs which many a time are more costly than the ítems one buys.

I once bought a book from Amazon ( last time 2009) and the shipping was 21 Euros ..  The book, was a 2nd hand 1 Euro perfect book in English about BASQUE CUISINE.  They can go to hell !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, enjoy your spices and have a lovely evening. 

None the less, I did make note ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 11:10
I know what you mean, Percebes. Fortunately, because of the many things I needed for my next project---Persian food and culture---I was able to qualify for their free shipping. But, even so......

My main reason for posting, though, was their incredible level of service.  You know, if any of us have a bad experience, we're quick to complain about the company. I'm one of those who take the obverse view as well. If you have a great experience, you should laud the company just as loudly. 

I generally agree with you, Margi, re: shipping costs. But with Amazon and books my experience has been the opposite. Here in the states there seems to be a flat rate on used books from them. Three dollars and change.  Yeah, sometimes that's as much or more as the price of the book. But, more often, it's not an unreasonable relationship. 

Where your point really hits home is with food items. You buy a jar of something with a pricetag of, say, $3.98. And the shipping is 8 bucks.  Unconscionable!

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2019 at 16:46

Brook, 

Actually the exorbiant  Amazon shipping charges are only when one orders a book or DVD from the Amazon.com in English or Amazon.uk.com ..

If I order something from Amazon.es, there is a minimal charge as it is local. ( in Spanish ) 

21 Euros for a book that cost 1 Euro is over the top !!  It was a book in English, that Ron recommended on  Basque Cuisine in the 1800s and early 1900s ..  A treasure  !!

Have a nice weekend.  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic