Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Cooking "Passport."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cooking "Passport."
    Posted: 14 October 2018 at 17:55
This forum has been one of the things that's really helped me get better at cooking over the past few years, especially as far as trying to make food from other countries goes. Yesterday, I decided to make an actual list of countries I've "visited." Here it is:

Cooking Passport

Country                      A dish I've made

Brazil                       Pao de Quejo

China                        Egg Flower Soup

Cuba                         Pernil   

Denmark                      Frikadeller

France                       Chocolate truffles

Germany                      Barley soup

Greece                       Avgolemono

Hungary                      Paprika Hendl

India                        Madras lentils

Ireland                      Colcannon

Italy                        Risotto  

Japan                        Tempura chicken

Mexico                       Ropa Vieja

Morocco                      Chicken + chickpea stew

Niger                        Peanut Chicken

Peru                         Empanadas

Poland                       Cabbage roll stew

Senegal*  In HS, I helped make banana cake + peanut ice cream for a French class project. I may have stirred something. :)

Spain                        Moros y Cristianos

Sweden                       Swedish Meatballs

Switzerland                  Raclette

U.S                          Meat Loaf

U.S, Cajun                   Gumbo

U.S, Mexican-American        Refried beans

Thanks for the encouragement!

Note: They didn't necessarily come out WELL, and weren't always authentic, but they were all at least edible. (Although the ropa vieja and paprika hendl, early efforts, kinda pushed the limits of "edible.")

Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 13:24
This is a great idea, Melissa - thanks for sharing your culinary travels!

Hopefully, you can add to the list during the coming year ~ I certainly intend to do so.

Anyone else? Where have you gone?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2018 at 17:07
Here's what I plan to add so far:
Philippine lumpia, Welsh potato + leek soup, Scottish Cock-a-leekie soup, Portuguese Caldo Verde. (Yes, that's a lot of soups. I like making soup in winter. :) )
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 09:41
Boy, I'd have to wrack my brain to see if I could come up with something other than American, Dutch, German or Americanized versions of chinese and mexican. I'll see what I can do. And hopefully expand that list a little in the coming year. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 12:02
Nice global-hopping, Melissa.

I'd like to do more exploring of Latin America. And Persia is on my list for sure, in the coming year. After that? Well, we'll see. 
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2018 at 15:59
Wow .. Lovely idea for a thread ..

I would have to write a book on my journies across the globe and my profound love  of the Mediterranean .. 

To start off in Europe, I have been to almost every capital city in all the autonomous regions or provinces of  France, Greece ( out of 2.000 Islands, I have been to nearly 50 ),  Italy, Portugal and Spain ..   

I have been to Romania, Sweden,  Norway,  Denmark,  Holland, The Czek Republic,  Belgium,  Scotland,  London, England ( Cambridge and Oxford),   Switzerland,  Austria,  Germany,        
Turkey,  Buda and Pest, Hungary ..   

I lived in Italy 5 years,  Spain 25 years so of course I have prepared uncountable dishes from the two ..

I spent 1 year and  5 months in Marseille and have travelled through most of the autonomous regions ..  

Many of my récipes are on FOTW with an introduction  and all have been prepared by me over the years ..  

I studied in both Montreal from age new born to 14,  and  then went to High School and  University in Manhattan. 

I have never lived any where else in North America however, have travelled through New England, Wash D.C.   and Virginia and North Carolina ..  San  Francisco is most memorable ..  

Mexico,  South America as well and numerous  Caribe Islands,  Costa Rica, and  Panama .. 

Asia:  Hong Kong and Tokyo and Kyoto  ..  

Africa:  Morocco ..    ( it is quite close to Cadiz,  Andalusia )  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 13:46
I haven't actually gone many places, but I'm having fun with the cooking.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 17:08
Great post Melissa .. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2018 at 16:41
Thanks!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2018 at 16:44
I just realized- does making my homemade condensed-milk ice cream in ube flavor count as Philippine cooking? It's an ingredient in halo-halo, IIRC. 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2019 at 14:57
Added South Korean Pajeon. Kenyan Irio, Tanzanian (among other places) Ugali, and Senegalese Chicken Yassa this week.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 02:13
For somebody who professes to be a poor cook and unadventurous you're doing one heck of a job, Melissa.  And I'm glad to see you reviving this thread.

Of course, it's a little disappointing that other members haven't similarly shared their culinary travels.  I had high hopes when you started this.  But, what can you do?

On the other hand, after thinking about it for a number of years, I started researching Persian food. Just the act of writing it down as a goal finally prompted me to get on that horse.  So, for me, personally, something good certainly resulted.

You rock, girl!

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2019 at 16:08

Within the last two weekends, I posted the following light récipes:

1) ITALY -  Zabaglione Vin Santo -  a renowned dessert with a sweet Marsala, or Vin Santo.

2) MIDDLE EAST -  Orange, Almond Couscous Salad which is absolutely lovely .. 

3) FRANCE -  Jacques Pepin and Julia Child´s  French Potato Salad .. An amazing versión of an age old salad .. 

Have a lovely summer Melissa.  Hope all is well .. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2019 at 19:10
Thank you!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2019 at 02:40

Melissa, 

You are welcome.  

Have a wonderful summer and all our best wishes from 
Spain .. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 10:20
I'm bumping this, because we have several new members who might like to share their culinary travels.

Since the last time, I have "visited" all the countries of the old Persian Empire. And, thanks to my new friend Susan, I've revisited Turkey---but this time to the way everyday housewives cook, rather than the palace food of the Ottoman's.  

Haven't expanded my exposure to Latin America, as intended, but, hopefully, that will happen this year. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 12:46

Happy New Year Melissa and Historic Foodie, 

I posted a lovely fresh cod fish dip in Spain and even though it is Venetian, I prepared it in Spain using fresh cod verses salt cod  ..  within the last few days.

Will be in Italy from the 17th - 23rd.

So, when I return -- I shall visit ..

Best of all,  Thank you for reviving the thread and all my best wishes.  

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 16:09
I'm coming up on my 100th entry, and my parents gave me a toaster oven for Christmas that can function as an oven and an air fryer, so that will open up whole new worlds.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2020 at 22:15

Melissa,

This is great news !!  

Have fun with your new kitchen toy !!!

Happy New Year and all my best wishes.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2020 at 08:37
Interestingly, we've been using a toaster oven ourselves, of late.  I lightning strike fried the glow plug in our regular oven, and the toaster oven was supposed to be a fill-in until it was replaced.

Boy oh boy, have those things evolved since they were introduced.  Other than size restrictions, there's nothing you can do in a regular stove that they won't handle.  I've even been baking bread in mine.

Good luck with it, Melissa. I think you're going to fall in love.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic