Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > South America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Argentinian Fugazzeta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Argentinian Fugazzeta
    Posted: 15 March 2018 at 07:23
Fugazzeta - Argentinian Stuffed Pizza

It has been estimated half of Argentina's population is of Italian dissent. Pizza is everywhere. Who knew?

Fugazzeta is a double crusted or stuffed version of the popular Argentinian Fugazza. An onion topped pizza similar to focaccia.

My 15" fugazzeta, pictured below, is stuffed with mozarella, ham, and provolone, topped with another crust, and mounded with vertically sliced onions that have been soaked in salted water,
mixed with extra virgin olive oil, cheese and oregano.

This 15" fugazzeta is mounded with 3 large onions making a layer easily 1" thick over the entire top of the pie.  I was a little nervous about such a large amount of onion but it was fine.  The charred bits added a tremendous amount of flavor.   The amount of onion was not a problem, but so much cheese.

Argentina must really like cheese. This was a cheese bomb.  If I were to make it again I'd halve the amount of cheese.  A few recipes I came across, all written in Spanish, called for the addition of cream cheese to the mozzarella and provolone.  Yikes!

Fugazzeta assembled

On my ceramic cooker, a decent pizza oven, at 450ºF

30 minutes later... done

One slice per person is enough

Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 09:13
That looks very good to me - I don't know whether I should be proud or ashamed, but I could easily eat more than one...probably three(!)...before I even thought about what was going on inside me.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 09:24
Careful what you wish for Smile

This fuzzy pic is a better representation of what a slice of this double crusted pie looks like.  It is on a 12" diameter plate.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 09:40
That is wonderful, indeed.

I'm not sure how old you were during the 1980s, but back when Pizza Hut actually made good pizza at the locations, rather than trucking it all in, they had a product that was a stuffed pizza: crust, a deep layer of filling, crust and toppings. They called it a "Priazzo," and it was glorious:

The Fugazzeta, of course, looks to be entirely different, but the basic idea seems to be similar.

I've had Pissaladière, which is a single layer of crust, topped with caramelized onions, anchovies and olives:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/pissaladire-and-no-its-not-a-pizza_topic1929.html

This was very good, and might be a little closer to being similar to the Fugazetta; I've also made focaccia that has crust, cheeses, and then topped with crust, called Focaccia al Formaggio di Recco:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/focaccia-al-formaggio-di-recco_topic59.html

This was very good, as well, and I see a few similarities, except that the focaccia is much thinner.

In both cases, it looks like the Fugazetta takes it over the top!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 10:37
It looks to me like the "Prizzo" was Pizza Hut's attempt at a Chicago Deep Dish pie.  I've baked my share of those but don't like them as much as New York or New Haven style. I've never been a fan of Pizza Hut although I will grant it was better in the early eighties. 

I come from the the land of pizza, described by pizza aficionados as the "Pizza Belt" of the United States. Because of this, it's difficult to impress me.  I've been ruined. When I go back East to visit I spend a lot of time in pizza joints. 

Modern Pizza and Frank Pepe's are phenomenal but the finest pizza I know of was baked in a dive Bar in Fairfield Ct called Three Corner.  Sit at the bar and order a "Garbage Pie" and all was right with the world. Three Corner changed owners who immediately remodeled it, and then went under.  Probably because the food wasn't comparable to what it was originally.  Twas a sad day indeed.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 10:45
Typo corrected!

Here in Montana, it's tough to get the "real" thing, but several Montana towns have good mom-and-pop pizzerias; probably not "authentic," but all of them have good food, loyal customers and a kind of early-to-mid-60s atmosphere. Difficult to describe. The 3 top contenders in the state are consistently Eugene's in Glasgow, Nalivka's in Havre and Howard's in Great Falls. Village Pizza in Helena could be in the running, as well. I would be hard pressed to pick a favourite, but for nostalgic reasons, I personally would grant them 1st through 4th in the order as presented above. Now that I think of it, there is a little place in PLENTYWOOD of all places, that would probably come before Village Pizza, and Stretch's Pizza in Malta would be right after that, bumping Village Pzza to 6th.

My mother was a huge fan of Giuseppe's in Colorado Springs; in her day, it was evidently very good and - I assume - authentic, as there is a decent Italian population around there. Unfortunately, it changed owners as well, and went downhill. Last I heard the original burned down.

As far as the Priazzo, I remember them being very good - I guess they could be like a Chicago Deep Dish with a "regular" pizza on top. I remember it being the one product where Pizza Hut really seemed to care that it was made well. Of course, those days are gone and these days I'd rather eat certain frozen pizzas than Pizza Hut.

This is probably all better suited on another thread, but that's alright.

Great thread! I "gave up" pizza for Lent (along with other foods I shouldn't be eating), but I think I'll be trying something in April - in moderation, of course!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 11:43
There's a town in Colorado, close to where I live, called Louisville.  That's Lou-isss-ville not Louieville and the towns residence are quick to correct you on this.  Louisville was settled by Italian immigrants and is famous (kinda-sorta) locally famous anyway, for their excellent Italian food.  For me, all of the Italian food there is mediocre at best.  Pizza included. 

I suppose the reasoning for this is lack of competition.  The area I was raised in is home to a zillion small  pizza shops. Parlors if you will.  And there are different styles.  Greek being one of them.  If you want to stay in the pizza business in an area where the market is flooded, you'd best serve a quality pie.  These Being so close to New York means top quality ingredients are always just a phone call away.

It's interesting to note that pizza shops are listed there in the phone books under "A" for Apizza not "P" for pizza. This is due to the influence New Haven style pizza has there.  It is always called apizza and pronounced "a-beats" by the local Italians. 

If you don't know what pizza can be, what do you compare your favorite local pizza to?  I suspect that your Mom's love of Giuseppe's in the Springs has something to do with that.

I was born and raised in Ct but my extended family lives in Maine.  The worst pizza and Chinese food I've ever eaten was in Maine.  The locals raved about it but the pizza was probably worse than a frozen pie and they poured beef gravy on whatever Chinese dish I ordered.  I hear it is better now but rural Maine has a lot of catching up to do.  Montana sounds similar in that you are in for a drive if you want to find just about anything.  There's something to be said about that though. 

I love the small town rural atmosphere even if everybody knows everybody else's business.  To bad drugs and alcohol seem to have found their way into that environment.  Young folks bore easily and seem to get into more trouble in places like these.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 12:07
Some good points there, and I suspect you are right; if someone is the only pizza guy in town, then there isn't much to compare it with.

I'll be delving into home-made pizza again, soon, and will have to see what I can come up with; maybe not so much as far as authentic ingredients (special imported flour etc.), but improved methods. A couple of ways I can improve would be trying "delayed fermentation" of the dough, and making some home-made sauce, rather than using whatever Contadina or Ragu have to offer.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 14:46
Give it up, G-man. Those who are unfamiliar with the true gelt can not understand what real pizza is. There's just no point to arguing it.

I never forget the first Chicago-area pizza I had. My God! Canned sauce, artificial cheese, on a cracker-like crust. And cut in squares, for Pete's sake.

A coworker, who'd been relocated several years before me, said, "the problem is, you're thinking of it as pizza. If you think of it as cardboard with some sauce and phony cheese on it, it ain't bad!"

That was not deep dish, obviously. My problem with deep dish isn't the taste---when done well it's a really tasty meal. But it ain't pizza. It's a casserole.

FWIW, the best pizza I've ever had came from a small place in Oakland, NJ, a town with no other claim to greatness.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 09:07
This fugazzeta thread has taken an interesting turn and I'm going to run with it.  This is going to be a long post so feel free to move it and several of the above posts to the Pizza thread to keep things better organized.

Brook, you are 100% correct about trying to explain what great pizza is to folks who have never had the pleasure.  They just don't know.

I;m not surprised the finest pizza you've ever had was in New Jersey.  Jersey is no slouch when it comes to great pizza.  People from other places don't know this and it is a shame.  NJ is a fixture in the pizza belt which I referred to earlier.  The Pizza Belt explained.  I grew up in the pizza belt.  The best other places can do is merely adequate*.

The following is from the Gawker site, linked above. This exactly explains my position on Apizza.
  • Chicago is not in the Pizza Belt. I have no desire to discuss Chicago-style pizza.
  • Neither is San Francisco, for Christ's sake.[2]
  • Indeed: Beyond the Greater Pizza Belt Area is a wasteland.

"The Pizza Belt is the final word on regional variations in pizza quality in the United States. No further blog posts or discussions regarding the topic will be allowed from now on. Pizza-related opinions from people born and raised outside of the Pizza Belt are particularly unwelcome and will be dismissed with prejudice."

"Those born and raised inside the confines of the Pizza Belt, spoiled by its riches, often confuse "adequate pizza"* for "bad pizza"  "Only those weaned on the pizza of New Jersey or Connecticut, and have never encountered the horror of الربع الخالي  (the pizza wasteland), misunderstand that pizza as "bad." 

Frank Pepe's New Haven.  The pizza Mecca to which all pilgrims travel.

Okay, enough with the sanctimonious crapola.

Brook, Chicago style deep dish pizza is not pizza.  I'm with you on that.  But this style has something going for it that New York style can't compete with.  Chicago style deep dish pizza is easily duplicated at home.  (What I'm calling NY style is a simplified way of saying great pizza.  Folks think thin crust when discussing NY style but not all thin crust pizza is necessarily great.) 

The best primer on how to produce adequate NY style pizza.

There's a lot of information there but without an honest to goodness dedicated pizza oven, wood fired, gas or electric, you are doomed to failure in your quest to make great pizza at home.

I make a giant Chicago style pizza when feeding a crowd.  No, it ain't pizza but its great deep dish pizza.
This is also one of 2 deep dish styles.  it is a stuffed deep dish pie which means it is double crusted with all sauce placed on the top. 

I start with a well seasoned 18' deep dish pan

Roll out the dough, drop it in the pan and layer with sliced mozzarella cheese.  This prevents the bottom crust from betting soggy.  Soggy bottom crust is real worry with this style

Add a first layer of toppings, or in this case, filling.  Pre cooked Italian sausage, onion, pre sauteed mushrooms, black olives, artichoke hearts, sliced jalapenos.

More cheese (a mix of mozzarella, and Italian blend)

Now add a second layer of the same filling ingredients.

Looks good but needs more cheese

Cover with rolled out pizza dough and dock

Add pizza sauce, diced tomatoes and a mix of basil pesto and squeeze tube basil

Bake for an hour at 350ºF

She's done

These pies are unnatural monstrosities but folks like 'em.  This one weighed in at 14 pounds.  One slice plated on a full size dinner plate.

Forgive me for I have sinned LOL

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 09:35
Well - I picked my jaw up off the desk, wiped off the drool from my keyboard, and tried to think of words that would be adequate, but none have entered my head.

The best I can do is...WOW - that's incredible!

Okay, you have convinced me re: Chicago Deep-Dish. I'll have to make it, and to Hades with the consequences.

Before I get too deep into that, I wanted to thank you for the information on real pizza as well. My immediate project is a "regular" pizza, so I'll look that over and follow the information to the best of my ability and equipment; of course, as far as the oven goes, the best I can do is a pizza stone, with another pizza stone above....or perhaps the Weber Kettle.....

On to the Chicago-style: Great job! It's on my list, as it appears to be very similar to (but much better than) the Priazzos (Priazzi?)that I remember so fondly.

And now, I'll commit what is probably my first faux pas: without a proper deep dish pan, can I use a cast iron pan? I have one that is a hair over 13 inches.

This is almost worthy of its own thread; but as the author of this thread and these excellent posts, I'll leave the choice to you, good sir - it can sit comfortably, either way.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:22
Ron, Chicago style deep dish is easy.  Anyone can do it, including me.  The long and comparatively low cooking temperature is what makes it so easy. Especially with the step by step recipe and video posted below.  It is my go-to stuffed deep dish recipe and method. 

A cast iron pan works beautifully and I have seen many successful pies made in one.   I personally don't do smaller versions than 18" because I don't do deep dish just for myself.  To me, and I guess Brook, good deep dish is more like a multiple cheese lasagna encased in bread without any noodles.  I can't hold it in my hands, I can't fold it, there is no char, and the crust is more of an afterthought than an integral part of the pie. It's good but its not pizza.

Before we get to that have some complicated deep dish information cause confusion make people think there is more to this than there is.

This written and video recipe is for a 12"-14" pie.  I'm not sure exactly what size pan she is using but 14" is the deep dish standard and 14" look about right.  She states the pan she is using is 18" x 1" deep but it is not.  It is 12 or 14" in diameter and at least 2" deep.  14" still makes a lot of food.  As you know, cast iron holds heat differently than a standard metal pan so you may have to adjust the timing a bit but it will turn out great.  Have fun with it. 

If you decide you like it, most people in Chicago do, you can order a 14" deep dish pizza pans pretty cheaply at a restaurant supply house. 
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:24
Oh,  merging the regular pizza stuff with an existing regular pizza thread is probably a good idea.  It will keep things organized.  Okay by me whatever you do.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:42
Sounds good - I'll go through the information when the time comes and hopefully put it to good use!

I'll see what we can do about merging these posts with a dedicated pizza thread; this will also serve to put the focus of this thread back on your outstanding Fugazetta.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:45
While we're on the subject, would you have any suggestions for a good pizza dough, as far as true pizza goes? I have one that I've been happy with, but I'm always open to improvements and suggestions. Brook and I have been discussing this very subject via email for the past couple of weeks, and it should make some great information for a dedicated pizza thread.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:27
So many different methods for pizza dough.  I'm sure Brook and yourself have this nailed down and I probably can't add anything.  I'll just mention a couple of things in passing which you have probably already discussed, along with a few general pizza tips

I already know I'm never going to reproduce great pizza without a dedicated pizza oven so I don't worry to much about any aspects of pizza baking.  it will turn out fine.  Adequate is what I'm looking for and generally I can pull that off. 

As with all Italian dishes, keep it simple and buy the finest ingredients you can afford. Especially when it comes to the tomatoes.  Use D.O.T. Certified San Marzano tomatoes for the sauce.  Even within the D.O.T. certification quality varies.  There are simply no finer tomatoes in the world but I do have my favorite brands.

Don't pre cook the sauce.  This is blasphemy with good D.O.T. San Marzano tomatoes.  The sauce will cook enough on the pizza and leave a fresher, brighter and sweeter tomato flavor.  Don't overload your D.O.T. pizza sauce with herbs and spices.  It doesn't need it.  A pasta sauce made with these tomatoes only requires a bit of olive oil, a sprig of basil, and a small amount of crushed garlic added before simmering for only 5 - 10 minutes for the finest pasta sauce you have ever tasted.

Ugh, another can of worms opened.

D.O.T. means designated point of origin.  San Marzano tomatoes with a DOT certification are grown within a specific region in Italy and harvested in an approved manner.  Expect to pay between $5.00 and $7.00 per 28oz can.  They are worth every penny.  My favorite brand as of this writing is LaValle.  They are reasonably priced, much better than DeLallo which is available at my local grocery store, and are of excellent quality.  There is another brand I really like but they are just to darned expensive. 

As with everything else these days, there are counterfeit DOT tomatoes on the market produced by China.   Cento sells certified San Marzano Tomatoes in local grocery stores but certified is not the same as DOT certified so don't be fooled.

The problem with American Tomatoes.
Yes, there is a problem and more than one.  All American tomatoes are canned with an inordinate amount of salt.  The sodium content of American tomatoes is through the roof.  Very little to no salt is added to DOP tomatoes.  Next is the issue of calcium chloride.  All American tomatoes are canned with calcium chloride.  This hardens tomatoes.  Manufacturers claim Americans like their tomatoes firm but this practice is a disgrace.  This chemical assures your tomatoes will never melt into a sauce.  And it makes running them through a food mill a chore. 

Some pizza toppings, like the sausage mentioned above, may not be available at all. 

Don't crowd your pizza with to many toppings.  Keep it simple. 

A baking steel will improve the quality of your home oven pizza over one baked on a pizza stone

PIZZA DOUGH:
A long slow fermentation in the fridge will develop better flavor. 
Most folks use AP or bread flour but I like Caputo 00.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:58
There is some excellent information there, sir. Between Brook and you, I think we might have the makings of a really good database for people who want to step up their home-made pizza game.

I'll start a new thread and see if I can get it somewhat organized. This might take a few days, but it could eventually become a signature thread for the forum.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:58
Did I mention how much I like these tomatoes LOL

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 13:04
I checked those out on Amazon - The Beautiful Mrs. Tas might kill me for it, but I think a 6-pack of those would be worth getting - for research purposes, of course.

Currently, we only have the Cento "certified" tomatoes locally. Nothing else even close - so Amazon might be the way to go.

I also was recently poking around in the pantry and discovered that on one of our trips last year I picked up a 28-oz can of what appear to be "good" tomatoes. I am "pretty sure" they are Strianese...I'll have to check when I get home. I was planning on using them tonight for a marinara, but maybe I should get a can of Cento tomatoes for that, and save the Strianese for my next pizza.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 14:02
I use Cento certified when running low on LaValle.  These tomatoes are grown in Italy but outside of the designated area.  They are better than mass produced American tomatoes.  That includes the highly touted Muir Glen's that are not nearly as good as people seen to think they are.  Cento used to export organic DOP certfied tomatoes that were fantastic but they got out of the business.

I use inexpensive tomatoes from Costco when cooking an all day sauce with plenty of herbs and spices. A gallon can runs less that $3.00.  To me, its not worth ruining good tomatoes when you won't be able to taste them.

If you decide to order LaValle from Amazon let me know.  Amazon moves these from several different sellers and a few have multiple complaints about dented cans.  I've gotten 2 dented cans in my past 4 orders. I order 18 cans at a time so that's not to bad I guess.  If you wanna play you gotta pay. Amazon is the only way I can get them but they are available in NJ grocery stores.

The Strainese sound good.  They are more expensive them LaValle but that may not mean anything.  It'll be tough going back once you taste the real thing.  You have been warned. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic