Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > France
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Crème Fraîche and Fromage Blanc

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crème Fraîche and Fromage Blanc
    Posted: 07 April 2018 at 13:14
Home made Crème Fraîche is so easy its nothing but laziness to pay the outrageous price markets sell it for.  Never buy it.  Make it at home.  Its nothing more than letting fresh cream mixed with a little cultured buttermilk stand at room temperature for 12-24hrs.  Recipes and techniques are everywhere.

This recipe is as good as any

Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 13:25
I could see that working well, Brook - yoghurt and even buttermilk are two bases of marinating chicken that I've encountered more than once.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 13:23
Coincidental aside: I recently watched one of the cooking competition shows, and one of the contestants used the whey as a marinade base for chicken.

Struck me as an interesting idea.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 11:31

Thank you Brook,  as I too always drain off the whey .. 

Have a nice day ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 08:45
I can do that, Brook; I generally try to do that anyway, because much of the yoghurt we get here - even the Greek yoghurt - seems too thin or runny, to me.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 19:33
I don't disagree. But I believe draining the whey off the yogurt (thus creating yogurt cheese) is a closer match than yogurt our of the tub.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 16:03
ClapBig smile 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 16:02
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 16:01
These are standard Subs ..  They are documented.

1) You need SOUR CREAM to sub the Crème Fraîche ..

2) And also PLAIN YOGURT to sub the Fromage Blanc ..

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 15:58
Hi, Margi -

I can do those - thank you!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 15:55
Ron,

1)  What an amazing recipe .. 

2)  SOUR CREAM is substituted with Crème Fraîche in many parts of the Mediterranean as we do not have "sour cream"  ..  

Therefore, it is NOT a substitute for Mascarpone which is bland and sweet ..  

3)  Your best SUB for this ingredient is Sour Cream.

4)  Fromage Blanc is fresh White Yogurt textured cheese which is blended with other ingredients in recipes calling for Fromage Blanc, and  a good sub is PLAIN YOGURT  ..  NO VANILLA !!! PLAIN YOGURT.   

I hope this has assisted you.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 14:06
Question:

Would home-made Mascarpone and Cream Cheese be acceptable substitutes for Crème Fraîche and Fromage Blanc, respectively?

The reason I ask is because, sooner or later, I plan to make an Alsatian flammkuchen (also known as tarte flambée) which calls for these two ingredients. In essence, it is like a "white pizza" with onions and bacon. I intend to use my Black Forest Maple Jowl Bacon for this project.

In any case, the recipe calls for Crème Fraîche and Fromage Blanc, which are simply not going to be found in rural, north-central Montana. I am hoping that my proposed substitutes will be acceptable.

Here is two recipes, if anyone is interested:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Alsatian-Bacon-Onion-Tart

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bacon-cheddar-and-onion-quiche

Thanks in advance -

Ron
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic