Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Garides me Saltsa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garides me Saltsa
    Posted: 09 February 2016 at 17:29

Garides me Saltsa

Shrimp with Tomato, Wine and Feta Cheese Sauce

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - Middle Eastern Cooking, 1969:

To serve 4:

4 medium-sized fresh, ripe tomatoes, or substitute 1.5 cups chopped, drained canned tomatoes

1.5 pounds raw shrimp in their shells (25 to 30 medium sized shrimp)

6 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 cup finely-chopped onion

1/2 cup dry, white wine

2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, preferably flat-leafed parsley

1/2 teaspoon crumbled oregano

1 teaspoon salt

Freshly-ground black pepper

2 ounces feta cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes

Drop the fresh tomatoes into a pan of boiling water and remove them after 15 seconds. Run them under cold water, and with a small, sharp knife, peel them. Cut out the stems, then slice the tomatoes in half crosswise. Squeeze the halves gently to remove the seeds and juices, and chop the tomatoes coarsely. (Canned tomatoes only need to be drained and chopped.)

Shell the shrimp but leave the last shell segment and tail attached to the body of the shrimp. With a small, sharp knife, devein the shrimp by making a shallow incision down their backs and lifting out the intestinal vein with the point of the knife. Wash the shrimp under cold running water and pat them dry with paper towels. Set aside.

In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet or shallow casserole, heat the oil over moderate heat until a light haze forms above it. Add the onions and, stirring frequently, cook for 5 minutes, or until they are soft and transparent but not brown. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, the oregano, salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Bring to a boil and cook briskly, uncovered, until the mixture thickens to a light purée. Add the shrimp and cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes. When the shrimp are pink and firm to the touch, stir in the cheese, taste for seasoning and sprinkle the top with the remaining tablespoon of parsley. Serve directly from the skillet or casserole. Customarily, the shrimp are accompanied by crusty loaves of bread.

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic