Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Asparagus "Fries"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asparagus "Fries"
    Posted: 20 November 2015 at 13:12
Longer ago than I care to remember, somebody gave this recipe to Friend Wife. It’s been kicking around, on a raggedy, dog-eared piece of paper ever since. We finally gave it a whirl. Now I have to wonder what took us so long.

You can go through the bother of making a true aioli. But this works just as well with a garlic mayo. Or even Thousand Island dressing.

While this does work with those skinny asparagus, it’s much better using the thick ones.

Asparagus Fries

1 lb asparagus, cleaned and trimmed
3 large egg whites
1 ½ tbls mayonnaise
2 cups Panko breadcrumbs, crushed
2 tbls parsley, chopped finely
½ cup grated parmesan
Cooking spray oil

Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a shallow baking dish, whisk egg whites with mayonnaise. In another dish, combine breadcrumbs, parsley, and parmesan.

Reduce oven temperature to 375F.

Dip each asparagus spear in egg mixture until thoroughly coated. Dredge it in breadcrumbs, pressing to secure them to the asparagus. Transfer to baking sheet.

Repeat breading process, spacing asparagus about one inch apart. Lightly spray asparagus with cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crispy.

Remove fries from oven and serve immediately with aioli or other sauce.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2015 at 02:09
Sounds wonderful to me Brook....I'll have to give this one a go next time I see asparagus at a decent price.
Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2016 at 19:07
I was all set to make these over the weekend - until I tried to find asparagus in north-central Montana in sub-zero winter! Cry

However, spring will bring some glad tomorrows, I am sure! Tongue
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2016 at 22:56
Mmmm!
Maybe next spring - if I remember.

Evil Smile
So....
Um, does anyone know 'why' asparagus has that 'smell' effect? I love the stuff - but the pongy pee - it is a problem.
Resident Peasant
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 12:08
google "asparagus pee". You'll get lots of info. Basically, it's your body breaking down some of the compounds in asparagus.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic