Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Cheeses and other Dairy Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Petit Brie with Truffle Salt and Juniper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Petit Brie with Truffle Salt and Juniper
    Posted: 18 October 2014 at 11:49
In an attempt to bring more creativity to my home cheese making, I have been experimenting with using flavored salts for finishing my cheeses.
I used the recipe for Petit Brie from the 3rd edition of Home Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll- Storey Publishing 2002
Truffle salt

Curd ready for transfer to the molds

Divide the curd equally between the molds

Draining to let gravity express the whey

After flipping several times leaving it overnight and returning in the morning

One Brie is salted with Juniper Salt

The other with Truffle Salt

The Dynamic Duo

Then into the cave for 6 weeks.
Easy Peasey
At six weeks they are perfect for Baked Brie with Crudites.
Another 2 weeks for a table cheese.

Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 13:13
Exemplary composition. I have made home made goatĀ“s milk Ricotta, however, living in a cosmpolitan capital, in the city centre and globetrotting for my profession, it is nearly impossible. However, this is truly impressive.

Thank you for posting.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 13:31
Margi
I would love to duplicate some of the lovely fresh Portuguese cheeses that I enjoyed in my travels.
One in particular became central to our lunch meal on a daily basis.
I never did learn the name but believe that it sounded as though they were saying- Cash Cabre-
I apologize for not knowing the proper name
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 13:45

Percebes.

Let me look, through my Portuguese Collection of Gastronomy Books on Cheese. I can surely provide the names.

Cabre = goat in Portuguese. Cabra in Spanish.

They are large producers of Goat Cheese.

And though not well know throughout most of the Mediterranean, the goat cheeses I have had in Portugal have been sensational.

Which part of Portugal were you in ?

Have a nice weekend.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 13:53
We were based in a villa near Sintra and took day trips to Fatima, Porto, Evora and countless small towns in my quest for good food, wine and a Asador de Barro.
I felt most at home near the Douro
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 17:50
Good evening.

There are 10 Portuguese appellations for goat cheese, by same name as the Designation of Origin :

1. Castelo Branco
2. Queijo de Cabra
3. Queijo Nisa
4. Queijo Transmontano
5. Queijo de Pico
6. Queijo Blanco
7. Serpa
8. Sao Jorge
9. Saloio
10. Requeijo

To refer back to your coloquial expression, Cash in any language signifies money. Cabre just means Goat.

So, it is definitely one of the above 10 and / or it can be a goat cheese that does NOT have an appellation and is boutique produced by a farmer or more than one farmer.

I have had a cheese tasting at a Michelin Restaurant in Lisbon 2 years ago and these are all amazing and all have their nuances, as the turf varies, so does the grazing pastures on the hillsides or plains or close to the sea change the goatsĀ“ herb consumption.

Have a nice evening. 1am here.

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2014 at 18:02
Thank you Margi for your very kind attention at this very late hour. It is greatly appreciated.
Murray
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2014 at 07:11

You are very welcome Murray. Have a wonderful Sunday.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 21:04
"cash cabre" - perhaps it was a way to say, "goat cheese" in a local dialect? "queso" is Spanish for "cheese," so there is a resemblence.

But, I am not expert, so take it with a grain of salt!Shocked

Speaking of which, how is the brie doing?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 21:18
My 22 year old son is always getting into my wines, cheese and cured meats.
I will have to ask him how he enjoyed it.
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2014 at 21:22
Your 22-year-old son has one heck of a lot in common with my 22-year-old son. Some of my best projects have disappeared by his hand....Ouch
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 10:51
It is about to get a whole lot worse. He is moving to Victoria BC. in January and I suspect that my cellars will take an additional hit as he
packs his trunk.
I will start fresh in Feb.
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 20:35
This, my friends, is why God arranged it so that we love them. Otherwise we'd strangle them in their cradles for sure!
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2014 at 20:44
Mine's 23... I love him, but , I love him.... nuff said.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic