Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > North Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Mussel Tagine With Tomatoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mussel Tagine With Tomatoes
    Posted: 25 October 2013 at 17:50
This is another great recipe adapted from Paula Wolfert’s book Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking.

The original recipe calls for a ½ cup of chopped cilantro, which we don’t care for. I substituted coriander seed instead, which maintains the Moroccan flavors.

It’s important that your remove the mussels from the broth as soon as they open, otherwise there’s danger that they’ll toughen up. Keep in mind that they’ll continue cooking once you return them to the tagine.

Although I haven't done so, there's no reason this same dish wouldn't work with shrimp or scallops if mussels aren't available.

MUSSEL TAGINE WITH TOMATO & MOROCCAN FLAVORS

4 lb mussels     
1 ½ lb ripe tomatoes
¼ cup olive oil     
1 tbls finely chopped garlic
½ cup finely chopped parsley     
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander     
2 tsp sweet paprika     
¼ tsp red pepper
Juice of a large lemon     
Sea salt to taste

Prep the mussels. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise and remove seeds. Grate each tomato half using the course side of a grater.

Place the olive oil and tomato pulp in a tagine over medium-low heat and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until reduced to a thick sauce. Add the garlic, parsley, coriander, cumin, paprika and red pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick.

Meanwhile steam the mussels until they just open. Drain, reserving the broth. Strain the broth through a double thickness of cheesecloth to remove any grit. Remove mussels from their shells (reserve a half dozen for garnish, if desired)

Add a half cup of the broth to the tomato sauce. Season with the lemon juice and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, until the sauce is reduced and thick again.

Add the mussels to the tagine. Cover. Remove from heat to a wooden or cloth-covered surface. Let rest five minutes.

Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 19:14
   Wow, those flavors sound terrific!

You didn't say, but I imagine bread is mandatory Wink

Nice recipe Brook...thanks for sharing!

Enjoy The Food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2013 at 21:07
I'm sure it would be, Dan, if served straight out of the tagine.

We had it on cous-cous, however, which absorbed much of the sauce, leaving little for mopping.

MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 06:32
Nice recipe Brook, sounds great! I'm thinkin scallops here, I just don't like black muscles. I love the green ones so maybe with them. 
Mark R
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 07:33
I would go with the bay scallops in this one, Mark. Sea scallops might send the timing off.

With the bay scallops I would poach them for no more than a minute. Drain and set aside without shocking. They'll finish cooking once you transfer them to the tagine.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2013 at 07:43
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I would go with the bay scallops in this one, Mark. Sea scallops might send the timing off.

With the bay scallops I would poach them for no more than a minute. Drain and set aside without shocking. They'll finish cooking once you transfer them to the tagine.

Yes I meant bay scallops. I'm not sure they even need to be poached, so easy to over cook.

Thanks for the recipe!
Mark R
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 11:54
perfect timing, brook - my youngest son mentioned a few days ago that he actually likes mussels, and i have some in the freezer. 

which leads to my next question: any specific adaptations when land-locked saps like me are forced to use froxen mussels?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 19:23
Are they frozen raw or precooked?

If raw, let them defrost slowly in the fridge. Poach them about a minute or so. Then follow the recipe from the point where you remove the mussels from the shell.

If precooked, add the defrosted mussels at the very end, so they just heat through from the retained heat of the tagine. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2013 at 21:13
Whoops!

Went to make this again, tonight, and noticed I have the cumin listed twice.

I've corrected it. But if anyone copied the original you need to adjust the recipe.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 19:06
definitely on my list, brook, but the frozen mussels might have to stay cool a week or two ~ i seem to be ainting myself in a corner where the to-do list is concerned, and i'm not even talkin' about food!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 19:12
   I was thinking the other day that this would be good with a single fish, or with a variety of seafood (fish, mussels, squid, etc).  I think I'll give it a try with fish, any suggestions Brook?
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 20:14
It would, I think, have to be a robust fish to stand up to the sauce, Dan. Maybe swordfish? Or mackerel? Something like that.

I believe, too, that instead of making it as a fish tagine, I would follow the recipe (including the mussels), and use it as a sauce for fish that was cooked another way.

Hmmmmmmmm? Now you've got me thinking. Maybe a grilled swordfish steak, topped with this sauce. I'll have to see what's available at the market.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2013 at 21:33
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I believe, too, that instead of making it as a fish tagine, I would follow the recipe (including the mussels), and use it as a sauce for fish that was cooked another way.

Hmmmmmmmm? Now you've got me thinking. Maybe a grilled swordfish steak, topped with this sauce. I'll have to see what's available at the market.

Yes, that sounds good!  

thanks!
Enjoy The Food!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 03:04
Hmmmmm! very nice sounding recipe.

Add some fennel and up the red pepper a bit and you just about have the base for a wonderful cioppino. Add some fish and crab along with the mussels and maybe some clams....yep...sounds great to me.

There's another one for my way too long to do list.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 07:12
I can't up the red pepper, Dave. Friend Wife is like the beautiful Mrs Tass, and doesn't do heat.

Were it up to me I'd plop in some harissa to really kick it up.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2013 at 11:54
   Good points Dave!  This is a recipe I'm definitely going to try in the future!  The recipe reminded me of a pomodoro recipe I often make with fish, I think that may be the reason I kept placing the fish in this recipe as well.  I really like the idea of cooking the mussels/sauce in the tangine separately and bring the fish into that.  I like your ideas as well, more peppers would bring up the heat and the complexity.  But, I seem to be in the same boat as everyone else, not only my lovely wife...but my two wonderful girls as well.  Me and my son, on the other hand, would be fine Approve

Can't wait!

Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2013 at 16:59

Divine dish surely.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic