Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Raising Animals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Exotic or Unusual Wild Pets ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exotic or Unusual Wild Pets ?
    Posted: 23 December 2012 at 09:22
Good Afternoon,

Having a conversation with my twin grandsons of age 6, can be quite enlightening !  They asked me, Do you and The Vet, have any exotic pets Maré ? 

Well, needless to say, we do not, however, Grandpa, has several herds of Bovine, both dairy producing and beef cattle.

Though we do not consider farm animals exotic, it is not that usual for city folk to have fostered rescued farm animals; nor an Apoloosa Horse, or 2 donkies ! 

So, of course, now I am asking; does any one have an unusual feline, for example an Ocelot or an unusual breed of cat or dog ? 

An unusual horse breed or wild animal, for example a wolf or a tiger or lion or such ?  Exotic birds ?

Have a happy holiday, and would enjoy hearing your ancedotes and witty stories.

Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 08:54
I have two Weimaraners, but they are not wild at all! My buddies

No they don't get along at all!

Funny you should post this as it is a HUGE problem here! People have released pythons and boas in the Everglades. With no normal predators they are taking over. Just last week they (hunters) caught 27 10' plus pythons in a hunt! They estimate they only caught 10% of the population, crazy stuff!
Nile Monitor lizards have taken over parts to SE Florida - Marco Islands and Cape Coral, they have full time hunters. And are not gaining ground. They are nasty critters!
Mark R
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 09:00

Mark,

Great canine breed ... Lovely coats ... Why don´t they get on ? Are they both males or both females ?

What a shame.

Margaux.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 09:08
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Mark,

Great canine breed ... Lovely coats ... Why don´t they get on ? Are they both males or both females ?

What a shame.

Margaux.

Ummm, I was being a bit sarcastic! They get on just fine as you should see in the pic. My buddies!!!!
Mark R
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 13:42
Mark. Beautiful breed. Are they male & female ? Names ?
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2013 at 21:54
Nice dogs Mark. I had a Weimaraner many years ago. I honestly cannot find anything bad to say about the breed. When my wife & I decide to get another dog I couldn't see getting anything but another Weimaraner.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2013 at 04:16
I honestly cannot find anything bad to say about the breed

I can think of one thing, Darko.

Weimaraners are part of the group classed as "versatile gun dogs," in that they are used to hunt all sorts of game---from upland birds to wild boar. The German Shorthaired Pointer is, perhaps, the best known of this group.

Unfortunately, as with other breeds before them, weimaraners are being bred, nowadays, more for the show ring than to do their real jobs. So my fear (this is the bad part) is that a lot of what makes them what they are is being bred out.

Among other dogs this was done to: Irish setters, cocker spaniels, and daschounds (sp?).
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 05:41
I have found from my extensive travelling that breed standards differ in UK And Usa guidelines & standards. Especially in canine & feline breeds. Snouts; colors; ear formation etcetra. A good example is the Usa round face of a Siamese cat in Usa to the Pointy snout of UK which I think is horrendous.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 12:21
Breed standards often differ even within the same country, Margi, depending on which authority is being used.

Here in the U.S., for instance, the standards used by the AKC and the FDSB are often different.

Sadly, once certain characteristics are bred out they are difficult to breed back in. A good example is the Irish Setter. In the U.S. all its hunting instincts were bred out, and it was turned into a show dog. In the 1980s, or there abouts, they tried breeding them back in by crossing the Irish and English Setters. This produced a breed called Red Setter. Not nearly as pretty or graceful as the Irish, and a fair to midling hunter.

I've had the pleasure of gunning over hunting Irish Setters, in Canada, and there is no comparison between them and the Red Setter.

If I was still in a position to own dogs, I'd probably import a pair of them.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 13:13
Brook. It is manipulation & unfortunate. Irish Setters wih their stunner copper Auburn coats; beautiful canine. The Vet has an array of animals at the Farm. Two adopted donkeys and a horse & two herding canine which are purebred ... Border Collies. They are taken very well care of by the resident Vets. They love Papa Fill. Kate & George. Very Brit. When expats relocate ... They are given away. Sad. Theyherd the cattle and are great loving dogs.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 14:18
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Weimaraners are part of the group classed as "versatile gun dogs," in that they are used to hunt all sorts of game---from upland birds to wild boar. The German Shorthaired Pointer is, perhaps, the best known of this group.

Unfortunately, as with other breeds before them, weimaraners are being bred, nowadays, more for the show ring than to do their real jobs. So my fear (this is the bad part) is that a lot of what makes them what they are is being bred out.

Among other dogs this was done to: Irish setters, cocker spaniels, and daschounds (sp?).
You are right Brook. But that aspect I don't blame on the breed, but the breeders. 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 08:50

Though I do not consider BRITISH SHORTHAIR CATS exotic, nor rare ... they are not the most common cat outside of the U.K.

These were my two 22 year old pedigree British Short hair Silver Tabbies; Emilio on the left, and on the right, León, which means Lion in English ...

Holding the two, is my dear Cuban friend Maria back in 1992.

1992 PHOTO TAKEN BY: Margaux Cintrano

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 08:52
those are some big cats ~

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2013 at 08:57
Tas,

Yes, British Shorthair are quite muscular and husky ... weighing in at 8 - 10 pounds per kit kat. They are not climbers --- quite low keyed and great apartment cats, and not destructive ... Very affectionate with children too ---

These guys were walkable on leashes too !  They loved to go for their walks ... We used to take them to the Park or on the beach very early in the mornings --- non peak hours of course.

MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:48
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

My male Max is a hunter, like a machine with dove, duck and quail. The female......runs at the sight of a gun and hides, max gets all fired up!
Mark R
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 11:59
I had a GSP female that was the same way, Mark.

My last gun dog was really strange. I could fire a ten gauge over her, with nary a tremble. But thunder drove her bonkers.

Go figure.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:33
Max hears thunder and thinks we're going out in the field, get's all worked up. Sheila ignores thunder but fire a cap gun and she gets real small, in the furthest corner, and shakes like crazy. GO figure, she has the best nose I've been around, beagles, short hairs etc...as long as she doesn't see a gun. She will run a a deer "trail" two hours after....until she see's a gun, then she Goooooone! I'll fund her hiding under my truck, a little Toyota Tacoma. She's a rescue dog so something must have happened?
Mark R
bkleinsmid View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkleinsmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 12:42
My two dogs are brother and sister........Bonnie and Clyde. She is fixed......he still has his shiny things. Both hunt pheasant and shots don't bother them.....thunder does.

My oddball pets are Emu's..........mainly for the eggs. Once in a while I will let one grow up to about 8 months old. At about 80lb's they meet their maker........and a smoker.

Brad
Brad
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 13:41
Brad,

Which breed are Bonnie & Clyde ?

Cool names ...

However, we have an on-going joke, about an ex friend; she is a real Bonnie and her husband is a real Clyde ... 

Have nice evening.
MCD.
bkleinsmid View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkleinsmid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 13:47
Sorry.......black lab....

B~
Brad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic