Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Basilicata Sfogliata Anchovy Bread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 15:56
12am Sunday Morning.

Dan,

I believe it is Sfilatino which is a bread roll, meaning the rolling of the dough, which is how my original recipe is prepared. Of course, stuffings vary considerably from savoury to sweet.  

I am going to do further research in Italian and see if I can now find a photo of this genre.

Sorry, the other, was  just a baguette style Italian bread.  

Margi.  
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 16:01
Awesome Margi, thanks
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 16:25
Matera, Basilicata.

I just realised the bread roll that we are hunting for, is Greek by origin.

It is a SFOGLIATA or SFOGLIA  too ... I am almost positive.

Is this it, more or less ? ( see photo below ) ...

PHOTO: SFOGLIA MACINATA E PORRI.

Basilicata if I am not mistaken, like Puglia was Greek occupied during ancient times.

These bread rolls can be stuffed with a number of different ingredients.

Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 17:00
Yep, very similar. Not sure what teh Macinata e porri translates to though? But the Sfoglia sounts right on.

My grandfather used a looser coiling but yep very similar, and I can see the sfoglia very easily morphing into the way we always said it. Being Albanese, this might make even more sense.

You're awesome Smile
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 17:07
Cool Dan,
Grazie. I too, am a curious especially when it comes to Italian epicurism.

My pleasure and am truly pleased to have assisted.

Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 18:46
So I got bored and decided to make a small batch.

I didn't make it 100% from scratch, we typically use good quality pizza or bread dough from a local store. And since I wasn't feeling that adventurous I went with that route.

The anchovies definitely adds an underlying flavor I can't quite put my finger on. It's a good flavor, not fishy, and enough that the difference is noticeable. Just can't describe how exactly. Roasted anchovies maybe? LOL
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 01:22
Dan, Buon Giorno,

How did the batch turn out with ? Were you able to take a photo ?

Let me move on to answer all your questions:

SFOGLIA MACINATA PORRI ...

Sfoglia = pastry / according to word reference Italian to English / Note: this might be why we had so much difficulty finding photos and recipes for it.

Macinata = to mince, to mill, or to grind.

Porri = Leeks.

Historically, this traditional Greek origin bread is still made with minced leeks. 

Secondly; Salted,  cured and baked; verses roasted  anchovies, the baking process certainly has something to do with the taste, and it is quite a bit different than right out of a tin or can, drained and drizzled with Evoo ( extra virgin olive oil ).

I also believe the baking process of the dough into bread or pastries,  also, perhaps the baking surely absorbs alot of the salt.   

I believe that now, that you know the name of this bread, and it is Greca ( Greek ) in tradition,  which is how I actually found how I found the photo, that it could be prepared with Greens in the interior and possibly goat or ewe cheese.  

After looking at many websites and photos in both Italian and English, I have encountered SFOGLIA OR SFOGLIATA is a stuffed bread, and can be filled with cheese, ham, vegetables and / or sweet fillings. Futhermore, it can be shaped in a variety of forms, and it is a common pastry or bread in Basilicata in all its various forms from traditional to modernization on the original breads.  

See photos:  ( Both are Modern Varieties of a bread or pastry with same name SFOGLIA ) ...

A modern take on Sfoglia with chocolate filling.   www.buttalapasta.it 

Mushroom filled Sfoglia.

In Spain, they also have a bread called Hornazo de Salamanca, which is Stuffed Bread, in translation from Spanish to English.

It is prepared with sausage or ham and chopped hard boiled egg in the interior.

So each Mediterranean country has a take or slant on a stuffed bread. It is also called Candeal. It is served at Easter time in Castilla León provinces Salamanca and Zamora.

Spanish Hornazo filled with Charcuterie.

Thanks for ur lovely note.
Kind regards.
Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 06:10
Thanks Margi. That's very helpful.

It occurred to me that I think one of the times he mentioned it, he did mention there being spinach...which given his general dislike of cooked greens could have very well been leeks or anything green and leafy that wasn't lettuce LOL. Also possible they couldn't find leeks and so spinach was used I supposed, assuming I remember correctly.

Oh and the batch turned out wonderful. No photos unfortunately.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 06:43
Buonasera Lupinus Dan,

Thanks so much for your feedback. 

Italians rely alot on " field greens ", sort of arugula, sorrel, escarola to fill their pastas especially in the southern regions, as well as Eggplant, as Basilicata is quite close to Lecce, Puglia, where eggplant or aubergine is their most bountiful crop. They also use green and red peppers of all varieties, as this is the Red & Green & Chili Pepper turf; and  Cavolo, or black cabbage or dragon cabbage. Leeks, fennel and spring onion, with long green stems with 3 hanging onions, are quite common in this zone too. In addition, cheese, from ewe´s milk or goat milk. Very Greek historically.

Furthermore, if you are interested; Basilicata is also renowned for their stromboli and calzone too, which I have posted a recipe last weekend, if I am not mistaken.

Have lovely Sunday.
Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 07:12
Buonasera Magri

Oh I know the love of those greens all to well and use they extensively. My wife hated the things until I started making them for her. Some tomato paste, wine, pine nuts, diavolicchio, maybe some wine soaked raisins if I'm in the mood and I am a happy person.

My Grandfather just wasn't all that fond of cooked greens, only salads, and so it would make sense for them to be removed from the recipe.

And I'll have to look up that calzone recipe, I love making calzone.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 07:19
Buonasera Dan,

The versatility of the anchovy bread pastry, is that one can prepare it sweet or savory. The Greeks used alot of field greens with goat milk cheese or ewe milk cheese and they have been wrapping foods since time memorial. This is certainly a classic from the Greek Occupation of both Basilicata and Puglia.

Broccoli rabe is another filling that is very popular in Puglia.

STROMBOLI and CALZONE: there are 9 pages of recipes and discussions in the Italy Section; so I am sure that you shall find a number of great recipes; and do watch the scales ! LOL

Very seasonal: One can also stuff or fill with Boletus or dry mushrooms ... and Charcuterie / Cheese too.

It is nice to meet you.  I do highly suggest the www.antonio-carluccio.com Books and the Dvd called TWO GREEDY ITALIANS. It is not only the epicurism end of things, it is done wonderfully with a great sense of humor, and is highly enjoyable too. The other very good book on regional Italian, is SILVER SPOON:  www.phaidon.com

All of these books are also available on :  www.amazon.com  
Enjoy, FOTW.
Margi.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 07:25
A Basilicata Restaurant in Matera.

Lupinus,

Thought you would enjoy. By the way, have you ever been to Italy ?

Kind regards.
Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 07:55
Sadly I haven't made it to Italy yet. High on the list though!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 08:16
Dan,

When you do come over to visit our side of the Globe, please do let us know. My husband is a native Italian from Milano, Lombardia and we share our time in between Puglia ( Gargano ) and the Madrid Capital for professional commitments.

We can possibly arrange to guide you around a few of the chosen destinations you have, and recommend some wonderful epicurean delights and where you can find them.

For dining, do put Bologna, Emilia Romagna at the top of your list.
Kind regards.
Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 08:18
Thanks Margi, I may have to take you up on that sometime 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2012 at 08:26
Dan,

Of course, I shall also recommend:
1) The Extraordinaire Drive Down The Amalfi Coast of Campania
2) The Trulli Greek Conical White Windmill Looking Buildings in southern Puglia
3) The City of Venice filled with all its enchantment, Verona & the Prosecco Designation of Origin  
4) Florence ( Firenze ) and the Wineries
5) Milan for fashion and Vanguard XXI
6) Roma for the monuments, however, on a personal note: this is not the best dining destination; one must know the hidden treasures and the Borghese Gardens
7) Matera, Basilicata - it is unique to explore on foot, and enjoy the small Mom and Pop bakeries, charcuterie and Sessi, the Stone boutique Hotels and Trattorias.
8) Abruzzi: this is milk fed baby lamb and pastoral dish country
9) Parma: to visit the Museum of Reggiano Parmesano as I am a cheese-a-holic !
10) Modena: the land of Balsamic Vinegar
11) Piedmote Wine Country

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi. 
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2016 at 08:40
What a great post.

I wonder if I could incorporate capers into the fold , if I patted them dry on absorbent paper?
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2016 at 15:35
Firstly, Capers are grown in Sicily and are commonly used in a pasta called Puttanesca and also with a wide variety of fish with capers & tomato baked dishes ..

You can dry them in the sun on kitchen absorbent paper towelling  and make a tiny bread ! Experiment !!

I have seen them used in Tuna, red pepper and Green pepper stuffed breads similar to a huge rectangle called a GALICIAN EMPANADA, which takes us to Northwestern Iberia on the Atlantic Coast.

Perhaps with this combination, the capers can be quite lovely ..

Have a wonderful spring.

Aplogoies for taking so long to answer.

Kgmg109 View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kgmg109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 08:37
I know what you are searching for because I have been searching also. It is Valyas and I finally found the recipe.
I wanted to share. I have not tried to make it yet because I just found it last night. https://marioochskitchen.com/an-albanian-tradition/
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2020 at 08:50

Kgmg109,

Shall check out the website.

Thank you,
Margaux Cintrano
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic