Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Italy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Basilicata Sfogliata Anchovy Bread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basilicata Sfogliata Anchovy Bread
    Posted: 08 October 2012 at 07:59

Sfogliata - Matera.

Matera, Basilicata historic district.

Anchovy Pastries:
Photo Courtesy: www.rusticocooking.com

*** Sfogliata is paired with pastas with meatballs and stews with potatoes.

MATERA, BASILICATA ...

One of the highlights of Basilicata in southeast Italy, neighboring Puglia to the west, is Basilicata. Sfogliata is a rolled bread filled with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and scented with pugent anchovies, wild fresh mountain orégano and ground fresh Senise peppers. It is like chowing down on a layered Napolean Pizza, numerous layers of friable dough filled with exhuberant flavours.

Matera, the capital of Basilicata is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and Boutique Hotel Locanda di San Martino, is tucked into the Sassi District in the centre of the small well kept picturesque town. Sassi means stones.

This story begins as all great stories do, and on a starless sky, dark and stormy rainy evening, the down pour from Gargano, most of the driving was done on stones, and in fact they were everywhere, under the wheels of the Jeep, leading to all the townhomes and just about all over.

Dorothy Zinn, and her husband Antonio had reformed and renovated actual cave dwellings and a very special Hotel called The Shell, La Conchiglia, with terra cotta flooring, marine fossils embedded in the wall treatments, and ancient niches and nooks.

Trattoria Lucanerie, a lovely restaurant, a stroll from the Hotel, run by Franco Abbondanza, a huge antipasti awaiting us and of course a bottle of wine. The dishes included: succulent divine eggplant rolls filled with Ricotta, sprinkled with herbs & Parmesano, semolina breads, with a dense chewy crumb and a Salame, home made by Enza´s mother. Enza Leone, is Franco´s cousin. Of course, there were  Senise,  is a well known pepper which grows in the Basilicata region & the brittle crisp crust of Sfogliata.

Here is Trattoria Lucanerie´s Recipe ...

Basilicata Sfogliata Anchovy Bread ...

(1) FOR SEASONED OIL

1/3 cup Evoo
1 tblsp. sweet Hungarian Paprika
1 tblsp. minced fresh orégano
4 flat anchovy filets drained, patted dry & minced
1/8 tsp salt

(2) THE DOUGH

3/4 cups water 105 degrees farenehiet to 115 degrees farenh.
2 tsps. active dry yeast from a 1/4 oz. package
1 cup 00 Flour
1 cup Semolina Flour
1 tsp. salt

MAKE DOUGH ...

Stir together the water and the yeast in small bowl until yeast is dissolved and let stand until foamy, for approx. 5 mins. ( if it does not foam, re-begin. )

Stir the Evoo into yeast mixture and pulse 00 flour, Semolina & salt in food processor until well combined.

With motor running, pour in  yeast mixture and process until a wet dough forms. Transfer the dough from the bowl to a lightly floured surface and knead gently a few times until smooth.

Form dough into a oval ball and transfer to a large oiled bowl, turning to coat. Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap, and a kitchen towel.

Let dough rise in draft free place at warm room temperature until doubled in size for 1 to 1.5 hours.

SEASONED OIL ...

Combine all the Evoo ingredients together in small bowl thoroughly.

FORM AND BAKE ...

1) lightly oil an 8 inch square baking pan
2) turn dough onto floured surface and knead a few times to remove air
3) roll out dough on well floured surface into an 18 inch round - 1/8 inch thick
4) reserve 1 tblsp seasoned Oil and with brush, leave a 1/4 inch border around edge
5) tightly roll up the dough, like a jelly roll and pinch seam to seal
6) arrange roll seam side down and form into coil, then place in oiled baking pan
7) gently press the coil to flatten just slightly and cover pan with loosely with plastic wrap and kitchen towel
8) let rise 1 hour in warm place
9) put in middle position in preheated oven of 375 farenh. degrees and brush top of dough with reserved seasoned oil and bake 40 mins.
10) cool completely on rack and with metal spatula, lift bread cautiously and let cool 1 hour.

SERVE WITH ANTIPASTI, SALADS, CHEESES, EVOO & SEA SALT OR CHARCUTERIE ... ENJOY.

Ciao.
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 09:40
i would LOVE to try this - and come to think of it, i believe i have everything, including the semolina....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 09:45
Tas,

Wow, thanks so much for the compliments.

It is quite delicious. I have a very large photo of it, which as you know reduction of photos is still quite a task for me, so I shall send it to you for this post via email.

I am truly pleased that you would like to prepare this very lovely savoury pastry crisp bread filled with anchovies. One can also fill it with Olives and Onions, or like a Calzone, with cheese & eggplant or deli meats.

All my kindest.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 09:48
well, like i said, i'd lone to TRY making it - but would i be successful? who knows? Embarrassed

it does indeed look and sound good, though - when you send the picture, i'll get a better idea of how it looks visually....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2012 at 03:56
Tas,

Photos up. Thanks.

Let me know when you do prepare it and I look forward to hearing all about your baking.

Kindest.
Margi.

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 11:13
It sure looks good, Margi -

I'll see if I can do this one next weekend and serve it with some sort of Italian dinner....
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 11:17
Tas,

There are uncountable simple pastas in the Italy Section that would be lovely, as well as the NYC New England section and the Californian. I would go with a Fettuccini Alfredo or a Carbonara, which are so simple to prepare and so few ingredients.

Also, a baked ziti perhaps and it is always good for leftovers.

I look forward to seeing your writeup and pictorial on it.

Kindest. Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 11:35

Something along the lines of fettuccine Alfredo would be just right, I think - I was thinking perhaps a garlicky "quatro formaggio" sauce with shrimp and perhaps crab over capellini.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 13:22
Good Evening Tas,

Fettuccini Alfredo would work lovely howver, this is a Roma based dish and the bread is a Basilicata specialty thus you might opt for a Southern Italian pasta ...
Shrimp Scampi would be wonderful .
I can send a list of Basilicata pastas however off the top of my think tank:  tiny meatballs with a light Marinara sauce shall be lovely, and u can see, the dishes are quite similar to Puglia. This is the land of Eggplant, Tomatoes, wine and olives.

Basilicata is heavily forested however, has a short coast line ( 13 or 14 km. ) and thus, anchovies, sardines, and many similarities to Sicilia and Puglia ... Peppers and chili peps, important crop ...

Kindest and See Photo on Thread Page 1, where I posted a pasta dish, orricchetti with tiny meatballs and tomato sauce ... These are called Little Ears ...
I am on Cell android now. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 10:42
Tas,

Basilicata is the land of peppers, chili peppers and honey. Some of the sauces, my LA CUCINA CULINARIA ITALIA suggest in its history are:
1) rigate pene all arrabbitata
2) pollo alla potenza ( garlic, evoo, onion, white wine, pecorino / reggiano, butter, 1 chili pepper, basil, parsley, salt and freshly ground blk. pepper): prepared in a large skillet without cover
3) Calabrese, Mora, Siciliana, Cinta Senese, Large White or Caseriana Pork ( names of pig breeds )
a) pork stew called: SPEZZANTINO DI MAIALE ( large pork chunks, rosemary, 1 chili pep., salt and pepper,  red bell and green bell, fresh tomatoes, garlic 3 cloves and prepared in earthenware ).
4) BREADS: acquasale & pancotto
5) LAMB
6) CHEESES
7) HONEY - 12 types
8) GREEK STYLE WINES
9) LICORES

So, with this in mind, perhaps, a baked pasta, of Mrs. Tas with a pork filling and bechamel on top.

Kindest. Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 13:09
we shall see, but mrs. tas really likes her seafood with quattro formaggio! lol
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2012 at 13:26
Tas. Sounds delicious too. Enjoy. I look forward to seeing the heavenly bread. Kindest. Margi
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 11:07
Awesome Margi! You have no idea how long I've been looking for something like this lol.

My family makes something very similar to this which is heavier on the paprika, includes some hot pepper, and with no anchovies. Of course, I also understand that my Grandfather dropped some ingredients he didn't care for but he never said what it was his Grandmother and Grandfather used that he opted not to. So I've been trying to find a more traditional recipe for comparison Smile

Ours is rolled and coiled like the above, but looser so the sides aren't touching. We also called it (and I might be off on the spelling, going off how it sounds) vallia. Not sure if it's a regional variation, my family hails from San Costantino Albanese in the Potenza region of Basilicata, or if 3/4 of a century in the US watered it down a bit...certainly sounds a bit similar when I say it aloud. Looks like you may have gotten me on the right track, and helped me find a new forum to play on LOL
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 13:55

Buonasera Lupinus ( Dan ),

Firstly, I am very pleased that you have arrived at our Forum.

After, some research on several Basilicata websites, and with Two Italian Gents who have a BBC TV Programme called TWO GREEDY ITALIANS, Antonio & Gennaro, who have travelled all over Italia, and have filmed their visits to farms, restaurants, trattorias, shepherds´ pastoral lands, deli shops with eight tables, amongst other food establishments and where food is grown; the name Vallia does not seem to turn up neither in:  The Oxford Companion to Italian Food nor the Italian Forums I am a member of ( www.barilla.com ) amongst others.

I believe it can be spelt incorrectly or classified as a Pastry perhaps ?  Could it be spelt with a "B" verses a "V" ?

Here are some websites, which maybe of some assistance:

www.barilla.com ( in English and Italian )

www.delallo.com ( in English )

www.deliciousitaly.com ( in English )

www.rusticocooking.com ( in English )

I also highly recommend the following contacting Pastry Chef Salvatore De Riso, who was chosen as the Best Pastry Chef of Italy in Campania; in the Amalfi Coast.

In the meantime, I am going to post the fabulous book selection, of Gennaro and Antonio, who are now also co-owners of several U.K. restaurants, and have filmed numerous works on the regional cuisines of Italia. They would know.

This data and information shall be in the Library.

I have lots of books on Italian regional cuisine, so I am sure we shall find the correct name. I am also going to email my friend Giacinto in Basilicata this evening as well as a dear colleague member and friend & fellow author, from Lombardia; Luca.

Kind regards and welcome to FOTW,
Margi.    
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 14:16
Margi, thanks so much for looking and for the links.

Unfortunately, I've no idea really if I spelled it correctly. I'm just going by how my Grandfather always said it, Val-ya. It does sound kind of similar when I say it aloud (and the recipe and look certainly is) that maybe sfogliata would have been the original annunciation and it just fell to the mercies of American Italian styling. Lord knows it wouldn't be the first time or dish that's happened to. And my Grandfather never picked up much Italian beyond some basic phrases as his father rarely spoke it in the home. So wouldn't surprise me if his annunciation was a bit off.

I've done quite a bit of searching as the mood has struck and this one is the closest, and from the right region. So I think this is what I've been looking for.

Now if only I could find some Senise Peppers lol. I haven't had them since I was little, but my great Grandfather grew them and had them hanging all over the place. Can't even find the seeds and I doubt buying whole ones over the internet would give me viable seeds.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 14:33
Photo: Anchovy Bread.

Did it look like this by chance ?

Matera, Basilicata Church.

Photo: Basilicata Chili Peppers.

Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 14:37
Nope, almost exactly like the picture in your initial post.

Only difference in the forming was that it looks like after it was placed on the pan, it was coiled in such a way that the sides were touching. Ours is placed on the pan and coiled so the sides weren't touching. Probably an even lesser variation than the lack of anchovies, which probably has a lot to do with my Grandfather hated the things.

Oh, and yep those be the peppers.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 14:57
Lupinus,

The Barilla Academy has 10 pages of Breads. I believe you have a good chance of finding it there.

I had already sent an email to my friend Giacinto who was born and raised in Matera and would probably know.

Okay, got the description.

Until tomorrow.
Have nice evening,
Margi.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 15:02
That's for the link, and thanks for emailing the friend that's awesome.

I should be able to kill at least a few hours with that link.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2012 at 15:14
Lupinus,

I have also contacted Fotw Member Luca, and I am sure, he shall take a look at the Post first thing in the morning as he lives in Italia.

I am sure I shall hear from my friend Giacinto from Matera, tomorrow or Monday.

Furthermore, I have written the Press Department of www.antonio-carluccio.com ( see Library Section ) as I am absolutely positive that Antonio and Gennaro know, as they have done a T.V. Programme on Basilicata and Puglia.

There are uncountable Pane Casereccio which translates to: Homemade Baked Breads.    

Have lovely Sunday. It is 23.15 hours here in Madrid Capital,

Margi.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic