Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dirty Rice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirty Rice
    Posted: 15 March 2016 at 08:28
My friend raises Pheasant and Chukar at his Dog Training facility.

Occasionally he culls a few pheasant that have crook necks.
I strip the breasts for other uses and grind the rest.

A quick meal to be had with browning the ground leg meat and offal and adding it to a Zatarain's Dirty Rice mix.

We call it "Dirty Bird"

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2013 at 08:38
Originally posted by Rod Franklin Rod Franklin wrote:

Could you make a form of dirty rice using pork liver? If so, how might you choose to go about it? The reason I ask is because I just took a package of pork liver from the freezer. 

I was going over this thread, thinking some dirty rice might be good today.  I noticed your comment about the pork liver, Rod.  Like we talked about...pork liver would work just fine in this recipe...but it's also a required ingredient in Boudin Sausage.  Boudin sausage is like a rice stuffing either put into a sausage casing, or rolled into a ball, dipped into an eg wash mixture, rolled in seasoned cracker meal and deep fry.  

Happy New Years!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 18:09
    Hi Rod!

Just as Brook suggested, you can absolutely substitute.  Let us know how it turns out.

Brook, you're also right that chicken giblets should be in the recipe.  I was going from memory, I'll revise the recipe...thanks!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 15:32
Why not, Rod?

Follow the same cooking directions Dan gave for the chicken livers, then chop the pork liver small.

The heart and soul of cajun cooking is to use what's available.
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 15:28
Could you make a form of dirty rice using pork liver? If so, how might you choose to go about it? The reason I ask is because I just took a package of pork liver from the freezer. 
Hungry
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 09:32
Originally posted by Dan Dan wrote:

One of the things that draws me to Louisiana cooking is that its cultural melting pot is shown in the food.  It's much more than people from certain regions using local ingredients.  The food in Louisiana shows the history of the people that has touched it over those many years.  Not in the diversity of each of it's foods, but in the influence within each dish...it's like a story on your plate.

I couldn't have said it better myself, Dan - due to my limited availaibility of ingredients, I'm not always able to cook Creole and Acadian food, but I always enjoy reading a recipe and seeing the story jump out at me. Thumbs Up
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 08:07
Brook and Dan,

Dan, firstly, I absolutely believe in  the " The Story on Your Plate" concept philosophy too. You have worded your thoughts and culinary philosophy wonderfully.

Thanks for such a lovely well written feature. 

Brook:

What I have tried to convey is even though I had spoken about a Cod Lent Rice Dish, the idea of Dan explaining that he slices up the ingredients on a butcher block and adds  them to his Rice, is quite a similar process to the rural peoples of Spain in the Foothills, La Sierra de Valencia, employing livers, organ meats, hunted game and legumes employed in mountainous and rural regional Paellas.

None the less, Spain is still steeped profoundly in Roman Catholicism and thus, many elderly people still abide by the Lent Fasting, and thus, only eat fish and shellfish during this time.

The Arroz Con Capitas De Toro or de Faisán or de Perdiz, or de Pollo,  can be wonderful idea ! You certainly are on the ball, Brook ...  

Thanks for all your input, discussion / feedback and have a great day.

Kindest. Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 06:26
Arroz con Capitas de Toro sounds great, Margi. But I don't see it as a similar dish to dirty rice.

The hallmark of dirty rice is that it always includes ofal: chicken livers, at a minimum, but usually the giblets as well. Plus, of course, arroz con capitas de toro is, at base, a seafood dish.

Other than the protein change, if we were to compare the dishes, I believe arroz con capitas de toro would be more akin to a jambalya.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 22:22
   Margi,

One of the things that draws me to Louisiana cooking is that its cultural melting pot is shown in the food.  It's much more than people from certain regions using local ingredients.  The food in Louisiana shows the history of the people that has touched it over those many years.  Not in the diversity of each of it's foods, but in the influence within each dish...it's like a story on your plate.  While I am not well versed in the history, it is as though you can read it in the food.

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2012 at 11:32
Dan,

I do believe there is a connection to Dirty Rice & Paella, due to the Spanish and French ( Louisana ) inflences in the south.

St. Augustine, Florida was occupied by the Spanish until 1847 or 1848 ...

Interesting historical influences certainly. Your ingredients: red pepper from Mexico and Peru for example, the herbs are Mediterranean and the Rice is Chinese, Japanese and Indian ... The Moorish Tribes brought rice to Valencia and to Italy as well ...

We should do some highly developed research on this one of these days ...

Kind regards.
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 12:15
    Arroz con Capitas de Toro sounds delicious...I love the chickpeas too.  I'll have to put this on the list of things to make.  Though I must admit, after finding this site...my list of things I need to make is getting quite big!

This site, and all the recipes you all have shared, is a great inspiration!

Thanks,
  Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2012 at 10:05
Good Afternoon Dan,

I realise there is a Valencian Rice dish very similar to Dirty Rice called: Arroz con Capitas de Toro; which translates to: Rice with Bullfighters´ Capes ... 

The ingredients are: chick peas soaked over night, red bell pepper, salt cod, tomato, garlic, smoked paprika, Rice, tomato, Olive Oil , saffron threads and fish stock / broth. 

This dish is served on the last day of Lent, and is reminiscent of red capes in the bullring, adorning the rice in earthenware dishes.

Interesting ...

Thanks for posting for Dirty Rice recipe ...

Kindest.
Marge.   
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 15:07
Dan    To prepare a fab paella I emply shrimpshell stock instead of water to cook the fallera Valencian rice. Thanks for suggestions    Mar.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 12:10
Dan,

Thanks alot for your prompt reply. Taste of America carries Carolina Brand.

Shall give this a try.

Kindest Regards.

*** See photo I had found ... I posted it on my 1st post.

Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 12:08
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Dan,

This is quite interesting, as I have never had Dirty Rice before.

Do you employ Carolina Long Grain Rice for this dish ?

Thanks for your interesting dish post, and contribution to our Southeast Section.

Kindest, Margi.

Hi Margi!

Yes, any long grain rice will do. 

Dishes like this aren't meant to have recipes...it's more or less just sliding things off of your cutting board in the right order LOL

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:56
Photo Courtesy: 123 Rf. Dirty Rice.

Dan,

This is quite interesting, as I have never had Dirty Rice before.

Do you employ Carolina Long Grain Rice for this dish ?

Thanks for your interesting dish post, and contribution to our Southeast Section.

Kindest, Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2012 at 11:53
   Dirty rice is a wonderful dish that can be served as a side, a bottom (fish on top) or also inside (as a stuffing for small birds).  I usually make mine with a good portion of meats, so it's pretty hardy.  Any type of meat can be added in here after you add the ground pork, ground beef, chicken liver.  When I smoke some ribs, shoulder, brisket...whatever... I'll usually freeze several small portions of the left over meat.  While the left over pork, rib meat, brisket, etc...can be good as left overs.  It can also take a dish over the top when you add it in a Gumbo, a jambalaya, dirty rice, etc.  Don't forget about using left over meats as an ingredient while you're cooking.  This is a basic recipe and you can change, add or remove meats at will, that's what I do anyway.

•   1b ground pork (sometimes I'll use breakfast sausage)
  •   1lb ground beef
  •   1/2lb chicken livers 
  •   1/2lb chicken Giblets
  •   1/2lb tasso or andouille (chopped)
  •   1 cup onions
  •   1 cup celery 
  •   1 cup green pepper
  •   3 cloves of garlic
  •   1 tsp ground thyme
  •   red pepper flakes (if used)
  •   2 cups stock (chicken, shellfish, or combination)
  •   6 cups cooked/cooled rice (rinse gently before cooking)
  •   1/2 cup green onion
  •   1/2 cup flat parsley
  •   Salt and pepper to taste
  •   hot sauce and file' served at the table

Brown ground beef and ground pork in a skillet, remove/drain and drain pan.  Add some butter then brown whole chicken livers on both sides, remove chicken livers but leaving butter and juices in the pan.  (add more butter if needed) Add onion, celery, green pepper to the pan and saute until wilting...chop chicken livers and add garlic.  Add all your meat, ground beef, ground pork, chicken livers, tasso/andouille or chopped ribmeat/shoulder/brisket.  Cook this for several minutes, you can add 1 tsp ground thyme (if you choose) add red pepper flakes and creole seasoning at this time cooking for a few more minutes.  Add the two cups of stock and simmer to reduce to 3/4 cup.  Add the cooked rice, gently breaking it up with your hands fold in and cook until almost all the liquid is absorbed.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Add the green onions and parsley, then serve. 

(I think I remembered everything...sheesh, I should write these things down)

note: Save your peeled shellfish shells and place in a bag that you keep in the freezer.  Take these out and let them simmer in the dish as an ingredient also...OR I'll sometimes take a few out and simmer in your the chicken stock, drain and use...OR use them to make shellfish stock, which is especially good when making homemade andouille sausage (it's subtle...but really adds some great flavor)

If you're adding shrimp/crawfish you can add them just before you put the rice in (you don't want to overcook them).  If you're adding some cooked lump crab meat, you can add it after you add the rice.

Dan

Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic