Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fig and Pecan pie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fig and Pecan pie
    Posted: 03 October 2012 at 16:55
   Here is a Fig and Pecan pie recipe that I was inspired to make from The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine - John Folse.  One of the great things about any John Folse book is that it is not a cookbook with just recipes.  It is a journey into a story, with a recipe that follows.  Sometimes it can be a journey into the history of the land...or the people that made the recipe.  other times it may be from a historic house or area that produced an exemplary example of a certain cuisine. 

This Fig & Pecan pie recipe is in the spirit of the early Cajun and Creoles.  I use fresh figs in mine, but a jar of preserves will also work.

•   1/2 cup finely chopped fig preserves
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 cup Karo syrup
  • 1/4 cup cane syrup
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs beaten
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • 9 inch pie shell
  • additional whole pecans to dress the top

preheat oven to 325f.  mix sugar and cornstarch.  Add syrups, vanilla and eggs,then whisk.  Add pecans and figs.  Season with cinnamon and nutmeg, fold in.  Pour into pie shell.  Then dress the top of the pie with whole pecans in any desired design...bake for 45 minutes on center rack. 

Tips that I have found work for me...

Before pouring the mixture into the pie crust I brush an egg wash on the bottom and sides of the crust.

If the edges start to brown too much, protect them with foil.

I pull mine a little before it's done and let it finish as it sits.  There's a look in the jiggle of the filling that you want.

Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 01:22
Dan Gone Fishin,

WOW ... I was not aware that you have such a "sweet tooth" ... Lovely recipe, and I am quite a fan of Pecan Pie and always have been ...

Turkish Figs are easily available and this would be right in tune, for the Thanksgiving time, when we do a home lunch on Sunday after or before the holiday, for a group of close expat friends ...

I shall have to contact: Taste of America and the El Corte Inglés for the Pecans ...

Thanks so much for posting,
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 08:18
   Margi, with all the wonderful ingredients that you find yourself immersed in/near...I never thought about you having to import certain ingredients that aren't plentiful there. 

I always think of myself as not having a sweet tooth.  But there are some certain desserts that I really enjoy...but most times there is a bitter component or balance to the "sweetness" that I like.

Eat well!
Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2012 at 08:35
Dan Gone Fishin,

Dan, you do forget that even though I have lived in European soil since 1992, I am a native from downtown Little Italy Manhattan; and one can call these American Specialties, cravings ? Big smile 

I do have specialties from various USA regions and / or states, that I enjoy to the fullest every so often; and one of them is PECAN PIE & another is PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE & I ADORE A REAL HOMEMADE APPLE PIE & KEY LIME PIE ... THE AROMAS ARE JUST UNFORGETTABLE ... and of course off top of think tank two other faves are: BBQ ALASKAN SALMON, BBQ RIBS & MAINE LOBSTER ...

Kindest,
Marge.   

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 11:47

Fig and Pecan pie

I came across a picture of one of my Pecan & Fig Pies.  A clear glass pie dish isn't my first choice, but I was at work and this was all we had. 

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 12:40
Dan, Wow, looks phenomenal ! Thanx for posting. Sempre Abraccios. Margi.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 03:03
Good Lord! my teeth are starting to ache just looking at it....looks downright sinfulWink

Nice job Dan.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 09:24
  Thanks guys!  Smile

I do need to make this again, sometime soon
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2012 at 09:29
nice ~ i'd hit that, for sure!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2016 at 13:07
Nice, I'll have to make this soon! 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic