Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Herbs and Spices
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Salt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt
    Posted: 02 June 2012 at 19:08
I have all these different varieties of salt. 

Himalayan Mountain Salt
Fleur de sel
Alder smoked sea salt
Peruvian Pink salt
Hawaiian salt
etc, etc, etc...

Is anyone else into different salts?
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2012 at 02:38
I like different varieties of sea salt, and of course I keep pickling salt and kosher salt on hand at all times.
I also like to smoke my own sea salt to use as a finishing salt.
I also like to smoke my own paprika and a few other spices as well.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2012 at 14:47
AK1,

Haven´t seen you on the forum in quite sometime. Hope all is running smoothly and you and yours are okay.

I have been exploring the Forum and have found this interesting post.

I use several different types of salt:

Sea salt ( in Madrid, I pay 21 Euro Cents for 500 grams and it comes in fine, medium and large coarse grain types )
Maldon
Himalayan Pink
Hawaiian black volcanic
Truffle salt
Curry Salt

When the trade fairs hold their annuals, I am invited by the Press, and attend to cover and report; and therefore, get to try numerous salts, sugars, amongst wines and other products, from each Iberian region, the guest country of course as well and all the cellars, cheese tasting, beer tasting,
wine tasting from the latest harvests of the 75 D.O´s. It is a phenomenal means of exploring the world of gastronomy 1st hand.

Very interesting thread.

How do you employ these various salts that you employ ? For example on steak, I use a sprinkle of Himalayan Pink. I use the low cost fine sea salt, for pasta boiling water, the curry salt in Indian, and the truffle salt for Risotto  and Fettuccini, of course depending on recipe.

Would enjoy exploring this topic further as to the best uses to enhance dishes we prepare.

Margi. 
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 12:29
   Salt can be a wonderful thing.  Like others, I use a variety of salt.  When using in a recipe a will usually use some form of Sea Salt.  I have a variety of topping salts...smoked salt certaily has it's place...as does truffle salt (what flavor and aroma).  But my favorite is Fleur de Sel. 

What a topping salt captures is not only the flavors, but the texture and tongue feel when it dissolves.  Because of the different structures in various topping salts, they deliver the sodium (and contaminants) in a different manner...at different rates.  Salt structure is where I think Fleur de Sel excels.  It's like a bust of flavor coming from a delicate snowflake. 

It may be true that Fleur de Sel cost a decent deal of money, when looking at the price per pound.  But we don't use it like this, it's priced per pound only to supply a wow factor.  I can but 15 to 20 dollars worth and it last me over a year.  That's one year of using it as a topping salt on normal every day meals.  It doesn't matter if it's simply scrambled eggs for my children or veal scallopini.  Many people spend more than 15 dollars a week at McDonalds, I consider Fleur de Sel to be a great value compared. 

HooRay Salt!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 13:24
Dan,

I too have a savoury tooth verses a sweet tooth, however, I truly enjoy the variety of salts on the market.

In ref to sugar, I have had the oppty to taste test some interesting sugars too; rose, cinammon, lavendar, vanilla to name a few ... They are a rainbow of colors, which also visually has quite a nice touch.

Since we both are professionals working, the cost of Fleur de Sel is well worth it ... as we do not come home for lunch doing the laboral week. The Vet travels to cattle ranches and the Clinic - Lab and that is 82 km. from the Madrid Capital. I provide English courses at UME in early mornings and then go to Office of Magazine downtown, about 15 mins. from our apartment.

Thanks for ur feedback.
Margi.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 21:19
Still around Margi. Been busy lately so I. Haven't been on much.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 04:54
In all due respect, guys, I'd like to meet somebody, anybody, who can truly differentiate these salts in a blind taste test.

"Saltiness" is a function of the size, shape, and density of the crystals. Period. Reason some of the gourmet salts taste saltier is that they take longer to dissolve on the tongue, so the salt flavor is longer lasting.

I just don't buy that you can taste the impurities that give them their various colors.

And anyone who uses them for anything but a finish salt is a fool at best. Once it's dissolved, salt is salt. Equal amounts (by weight) yeild the precise same results.

Fifteen years ago, of course, if you tried marketing any of these salts in the U.S. they'd fine you for selling contaminated salt. Now they let you charge 15 bucks for a tiny bottle of it. Go figure.

To me, the biggest marketing rip off in the world is Fleur de sel.

Fleur de sel comes from the evaporative ponds in Britanny. Brackish water from the marshes is led into the ponds, and the water allowed to evaporate. As the saline concentrates crystals form, and are raked off the surface. As more and more crystals appear they are raked off. The color comes from staining of the salt by the clays suspended in the water, and by a particular bacteria.

This basic method of evaporating salt dates back at least to the Romans, and probably earlier. One difference: Technically, only crystals from the first raking of the Britanny ponds, are Fleur de sel.

So, this leads to two questions:

1. Given the sheer volume of "Fleur de sel" found on the market, does anyone really believe it's all coming from the first raking? Or even from Britanny? If you do, I've got a bridge to sell you. And if you don't, why are you paying a premium for the second rate stuff?

2. Does anyone believe that the salt produced in the second, or third, or 10th raking is any different than that of the first? In theory, the earliest crystalization produces larger crystals. Yeah, maybe. And maybe they're just counting on you not being able to tell the difference in the first place.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 06:31
Brook,

Thank you for your contribution, and interesting viewpoints.

As I had mentioned in my post up above, I purchase natural Spanish Basque  Sea Salt which is an big industry here, and sells for 21 Euro Cents for 500 grams and it comes in 4 types, very fine, fine, medium coarse and large coarse flakes.

I do love Himalyan Pink salt on my rare grilled steak, vuelta vuelta, which means flip it and flip it again, and however, it is a bit more costly. I pay 6 Euros for Himalayan Pink for 250 grams.

I find the Spanish Salt to be well priced, and that it does it job ...  

Best,
Margi.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2012 at 07:23
   Hi Brook!

First off, while I am not concerned about which raking any of  my salt comes from...I would still like to take a look at that bridge you have for sale.  I am less interested in the bridge as I am the land it may come with.  I'm thinking about any potential hunting land that the bridge comes with would be a great influence to the sale of said bridge.

As stated, I think structure is a huge part of the delivery mechanism of salt...when talking about topping salts.  Cooking, baking etc...any method that totally dissolves the salt would be a waste of said mineral.  But, when using it, as it was intended, as a topping salt...I don't feel 10-13 dollars is a lot of money to spend for something that will last you over a full year.  To me, the contaminant being in the salt is a sign that the salt was unadulterated and left as is...in the state it was found. 

As for the first, tenth, eight raking...I'm really not concerned with this.  I haven't found any inconsistency with the crystalline structure of Fleur de Sel, causing me a desire to require any certain raking.  Which leads to your first question.  I do not feel slighted having been sold salt that was, most certainly, not strictly the first raking.  Structure is what I believe sets Fleur de Sel apart, and having never noticed any inconsistencies, they could give me the seventieth raking if I'm satisfied with the structure.  You may think it's silly, but I am not buying words on a label, I am buying salt.  If it doesn't meet my expectations (in structure), they can say whatever they want...perhaps someone else will be listening.  

Now, about that bridge?  Let's talk about the land that goes with this sale...

:),
Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Karl View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2019 at 15:31
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/making-salt-from-an-ancient-underground-ocean?utm_source=pocket-newtab

J.Q. Dickinson Saltworks out of West Virginia (just so that we need one more salt in out collections)  ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic