Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Karalábéleves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KaralábĂ©leves
    Posted: 11 May 2012 at 17:34
I notice all the markets have some good looking kohlrabi. So now is the time to make this great spring soup. This version comes from Paula Bennett and Velma Clark's The Art of Hungarian Cooking:

Karalábéleves
(kohlrabi soup)

1 small chicken, cut up
4 young kohlrabi
1 1/4 tsp salt
2 tbls chopped parsley
4 tbls butter or lard
3 tbls flour
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup cream

Cook the chicken in simmering salted water to cover for 30 minutes.

Peel the kohlrabi and cut into fine strips. Add to the chicken with the salt and continue cooking until chicken and kohlrabi are tender. Wilt the parsley in the fat; add the flour and blend. Stir in a cup of the soup and continue stirring and cooking until thick and smooth. Thin with the remaining soup.

Remove the chicken from the bones and cut into bite-sized pieces. Return to the soup and heat to boiling. Mix the egg yolks with the cream and stir into the hot soup. Serve at once.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 19:13
i saw this and gotta say, i wish the forum software had a "like button," because that looks like some really nice old-world eating. my wife loves kohlrabi; it brings back memories of her grandmother. i'll be making this before too long!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 03:50
It's easy to grow, Ron. I'd give some thought to it as a fall crop as a nice surprise for the lovely and vivacious Mrs Tas.

You know there are purple ones as well as green?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 09:24
i didn't know that - i'll have to see what we can get around here. normally we get them from the local hutterites, and they are green.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 16:16
I totally forgot about this type of soup! Thanks for reminding me.

I can remember eating something like it when I was a kid at my Grandmas table. I'm sure it had sour cream and a little paprika in it. Like most things... and it was just a way she made it her own. They used to grow a lot of Kohlrabi back in the day. I ate a lot of those things raw.
Hungry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 16:28
We eat a lot of raw kohlrabi, Rod, often slicing it and using the slices like crackers.

It also makes an incredible slaw.
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 16:47
I'll bet it would be good in coleslaw. Never thought of using it like a cracker but sounds like a good idea too. My Grandparents made fermented pickles with them too, with carrots and radishes and a few of those blistering wax peppers in there.

Kohlrabi might be one of those under-utilized vegetables like parsnips.
Hungry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 19:20
Rod, I don't think there's any question that you're right about it being under-utilized. Most people don't even know what it is when they see it in the market, let alone how to use it. In fact, half the time we have to tell the check-out person what it is.

I'll bet it would be good in coleslaw

Not in coleslaw. The actual main ingredient. While we in America tend to associale slaw with cabbage, any of the cole crops (i.e., cabbage, broccoli, kohlrabi, etc.) can be used. That's why it's called cole slaw.

With kohlrabi there's even a variety called Gigante that was developed specifically for that purpose.

So try grating the kohlrabi and using it instead of cabbage for your next coleslaw. Or try this, one of my own recipes:

Brook's Kohlrabi Slaw

3 tangerines
3 medium kohlrabi
1 poblano pepper
1 red bell pepper
2 tbls Sherry vinegar
2 tbls blood orange vinegar
1 inch fresh giner root, finely diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
Pinch each cinnamon & nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil

Cut tangerines into supremes. Squeeze remaining cores to recover juice, reserving 1/2 cup.

Cut kohlrabi, poblano, and red pepper into fine jullienne. Combine in a mixing bowl.

In a saucepan combine the reserved juice, the vinegars, ginger, garlic, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Reduce by half. Strain out the solids and discard. Combine the liquid with the honey and whisk in the oil.

Mix the vinaigrette with the veggies, tossing well to coat. Fold in the supremes, combining them evenly through the slaw. Chill before serving.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 19:40
I love it sliced thin and sprinkled with lemon pepper.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 05:17
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

We eat a lot of raw kohlrabi, Rod, often slicing it and using the slices like crackers.

It also makes an incredible slaw.

i love the simplicity of this soup just i have to work out the amount of water.
we love sliced kohlrabies with salt next to a meal.
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 06:17
Ahron, you use enough water to cover the chicken while it poaches. Doesn't sound like a lot, I know. But, in fact, you'll wind up not using all of it---unless you want a very thin soup.
ChrisFlanders View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisFlanders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 04:40
I like that soup recipe too! Kohlrabi have been out of the picture in my country for a long time. They seem to be back with the revival of the "forgotten vegetables" that is going on.
Kohlrabi now pops up in many recipes. Believe it or not, I have never eaten kohlrabi! Time to explore..
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 05:09
Just watch the sizes as you experiment, Chris. Larger ones---more than, say, 3" in diameter---can turn woody.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 05:42
Ahron, to help out with water quantities and other ingredients, the Foods of the World's The Cooking of Vienna's Empire (thanks Ron), has a slightly different recipe. Procedures are about the same, so I shouldn't have to type them. But here are the ingredients:

A 3-pound frying chicken
2 medium sized whole peeled onions (about 1/2 lb)
8 cups water or chicken stock or water and chicken stock combined
2 cups kohlrabies diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 medium sized kohlrabies)
2 dtablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Salt
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 21:02
Made it tonight!!!! I had 3 bowlsPig Wife & kids weren't impressedUnhappy I guess they were expecting something different.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 21:11
i get the same reaction from the family sometimes, darko ~ all that work, and then they're not so impressed. but then again, now and then, i make something they like and even request again!

congratulations for trying something new, though!!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 21:50
I know how you feel. I love trying new things, but the family isn't as adventurous as I am. Nonetheless, I'll keep trying.Big smile

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 04:44
Well Darko, at least one of you liked it.

Did the family members offer any reasons why they didn't care for it? Or just a generic, "it's ok...."?
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2012 at 08:51
Well, my one son said it smells like weeds. He's not an admirer of cole crops. My wife I think was expecting something different. She was expecting more of a traditional chicken soup. I think it may have been one of those "wrong time" moments.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 12:17
As Book mentioned above, this recipe in slightly different form is offered by Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Vienna's Empire (1968). I was going to make it this weekend, but there is no kohlrabi to be found locally until next year, it seems.

Since I have it right here in front of me, here's the recipe:

Quote To serve 6 to 8:

A 3-pound frying chicken
2 medium-sized whole, peeled onions (about 1/2 pound)
8 cups water or chicken stock - or water and chicken stock combined
2 cups kohlrabies diced into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 medium-sized kohlrabis)
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
Salt
2 tablespoons finely-chopped parsley

Combine the chicken and onions in a 5-quart casserole or soup kettle and cover them - depending on the degree of richness desired - with the chicken stock, a mixture of chicken stock and water, or water. Bring the liquid to a boil, skim off the surface scum, then reduce the heat to medium. Partially cover and cook for 40 minutes, or until tender.

Remove the chicken and strain the soup through a sieve set over a large bowl, pressing down on the onions with a wooden spook before discarding them. Skim off the surface fat, return the stock to the pot, bring it to a boil and add the diced kohlrabes. Turn the heat to its lowest point, partially cover the pan and simmer while you prepare the chicken.

Strip the skin from the chicken and pull the meat from the bones. Cut the meat into 1/2-inch cubes and add them to the pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer, or until the kohlrabies are tender.

Melt the butter in a heavy, 8-inch skillet over medium heat. When the foam subsides, stir in the flour. Continue to stir until the flour is lightly browned, then add 1/2 cup of the stock from the pot. With a wire whisk, stir over low heat until the sauce begins to thicken, then whisk it into the pot. Simmer for 10 minutes longer. Taste for seasoning. Pour the soup into a heated tureen and sprinkle it with the chopped parsley.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic