Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Shrimp & Grits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shrimp & Grits
    Posted: 04 January 2017 at 19:44
Ron, have you had polenta? For all intents and purposes, samee-same.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2017 at 12:40
Really nice, Dan - I would love to sit down to a plate of that!

I am ashamed to say, I've never tried grits...one of these days....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2016 at 10:52
Looking good, Dan.

You might try the grits with something other than dairy; stock comes to mind. Won't be quite as creamy, but won't be bad, either. I've had some great grits made only with water, so the possibilities are endless.

That aside, rice is a good sub. And keeps with the culinary traditions of the Low Country.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2016 at 15:42
  made this one many times...this time served over rice (due to someone who has trouble with dairy)

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2015 at 18:54
   Shrimp and Grits

Here's another variation of shrimp and grits I cooked the other day.

Cajun trinity, andouille, shrimp stock and cream served over (non-smoked) gouda grits.   My mistake?  My wife was craving some shrimp and grits...I think she was craving grits most of all.  We didn't have our Anson Mills grits, just wasn't the same.  

shrimp and grits, yum!

Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 13:40
Dan, The Christmas Season has a tendency to activate all those special moments and thoughts of people near and far... And with this in mind Pecan Pie amongst a few other epicurean comforts of my childhood, I enjoy taste testing !   Happy Holidays, Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 13:24
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Dan, It slipped my mind a tad ... Taste of America carries Grits !

Very nice, Margi!  You'll be serving some "Southern Cooking" in no time Thumbs Up  While shopping at Taste of America, you must feel the same way I do when shopping here.  Except I'm happy when I can get good Mediterranean ingredients, and you're happy when you can get good ol' U.S.A. ingredients LOL

Dan

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 12:30
Dan, It slipped my mind a tad ... Taste of America carries Grits !
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 12:27
Dan, Divino !   TU for posting. Kind regards. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 09:48
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I like your idea of adding smoked sausage, Dan. I reckon I'd cut back a little on the brown sugar, though, so that the smokiness comes through. Maybe 3/8th cup, or even cut way back to 1/4 cup?

Brook, thanks for the suggestion on cutting back on the sugar, probably start at 1/4 then adjust.  I need to start thinking two steps ahead, like this, more often.  Thanks!

Marge, great suggestions to add your wonderful touches to the dish.

Thanks for all the kind words Smile

Here's some Shrimp & Grits I had at a restaurant down in Sanibel, Florida

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 00:52
Gorgeous plating Dan. I like Brook' s Bbq sauce and I would employ a bit of Smoked Spanish Paprika Pimento de La Vera and the spicy Sausage certainly. Grits ! The best grits I had ever tasted were in the Rocky Mount Region of North Carolina in a small village enroute to Nagshead. There was a sleepwear manufactuerer in same tiny town called Paul Bruce. If memory .   serves me the town was Scotland Neck near their otherfactory. LV Myles and that was Rich Square if memory serves me correctly. We have dear friends who were raised there and now live in Raleigh. I have not had grits since. I shall see if Taste of America carries, or polenta or mash   potatoes great subs.TU for posting. MC
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 21:14
Lovely looking plate, Dan. I'm really glad you liked it.

BBQed shrimp & grits is probably the least common form. There are great recipes, such as this one, and some, shall we say not so great ones.

Once, in a Charleston restaurant, I ordered bbqed s&g from the menu. What they brought me was a bowl of undercooked grits, overcooked shrimp, and a dousing of canned, commercial sauce. I thank all the culinary gods that that wasn't my first experience, and that I knew what it should taste like.

I like your idea of adding smoked sausage, Dan. I reckon I'd cut back a little on the brown sugar, though, so that the smokiness comes through. Maybe 3/8th cup, or even cut way back to 1/4 cup?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 18:30
impressive, dan ~ very nice job!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 18:25
   Margi, yes...I shall check out Southern Living.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 18:16
   Shrimp and Grits - HistoricFoodie Style

some prep on the sauce...with homemade bacon (basic cure with hickory/cherry smoke)

Bbq Shrimp and Grits - YUM!

really nice recipe...loved the sauce, shrimp and old fashion grits.  Loved the recipe as it is.  Next time I may try and add a little fresh Serrano pepper (served as a condiment) and maybe cook just a very little smoked sausage (cut the same size as the diced bell peppers) and added in the sauce. 

Great, easy recipe Brook...thanks!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 14:54
looks great so far, dan ~ can't wait to see how it turns out!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 14:31
Dan. You should subscribe to Southern Living Magazine or read their travel and food sections: www.southernliving.com       They specialize in exemplary travel pieces in Va. NC. SC. Ga. FL. TN. Mississippi. Alabama. TX. Louisiana . Arkansas. KY and W. VA. Charleston is a beautiful city. Savannah has fab antique shops.   San Antonio and Austin are fab. Memphis is alot of fun and close to Elvis Museum Plantation and Mississippi native american museum. I truly like Blue Ridge Virginia. Norfolk. Va. Beach zone and Nagshead. Cape Hatteras too. Atlanta adored. Truly polite helpful people too. I loved the Gone with the wind and Coca Cola Museums. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 14:29
Dan. You should subscribe to Southern Living Magazine or read their travel and food sections: www.southernliving.com       They specialize in exemplary travel pieces in Va. NC. SC. Ga. FL. TN. Mississippi. Alabama. TX. Louisiana . Arkansas and W. VA. Charleston is a beautiful city. Savannah has fab antique shops.   San Antonio and Austin are fab. Memphis is alot of fun and close to Elvis Museum Plantation and Mississippi native american museum. I truly like Blue Ridge Virginia. Norfolk. Va. Beach zone and Nagshead. Cape Hatteras too. Atlanta adored. Truly polite helpful people too. I loved the Gone with the wind and Coca Coola Museums. Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 14:04
    You've given me a taste for Shrimp & Grits, Brook! After our discussion, I've decided to travel on to many variations of Shrimp & Grits...starting with yours  Smile   This is, of course, wife willing.  She says she's not a fan of grits, I quickly dismissed it and figured we'd see if I can convert her LOL.

But now, she got called away to work Confused  I'll have to set some aside for her, to cook when she gets home.  My brother's going to come over now...so all is not lost!

I'll post an updated pic when the meal's done...

Thanks Brook!

Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2012 at 14:20
Like everywhere nowadays, the Low Country is changing, becoming more homogenous with the rest of the country. But you can still find pockets that are, culinarily at least, giant steps backwards.

Plus, if you can ever connect with the Gullah community, you're in for some eating that you won't find anywhere else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic