Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Curing of Meats, Charcuterie and Smokehouse Specialties
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Bologna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bologna
    Posted: 06 December 2011 at 09:50

NOTE: this recipe can be used for pretty much any meat - we use it with deer, but there's no reason not to use beef, pork or even turkey or a combination of meats.

• 4 pounds ground deer
  • 2 tsp onion powder
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp mustard seed
  • 2 tsp celery seed
  • 2 tsp freshly-ground pepper
  • 4 tbsp Liquid Smoke
  • 6 teaspoons (2 Tablespoons) Morton's Tenderquick
  • 2 cups water
Mix all together, make into rolls one foot by one and one half inches. Wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends tightly as well, and refrigerate for 24 hours to allow meat to cure.

Punch holes through foil with fork. Put foiled-wrapped rolls on oven rack with pans below to catch drippings and bake at 350 degrees for one and half hours. Submerge immediately in ice-cold water for about 10-15 minutes, then allow to finish cooling in foil or refrigerate. bologna can be enjoyed immediately or packaged well and then frozen.

it looks like too much water, but once it is all mixed together, it works pretty well. the recipe above made three rolls of bologna and tasted pretty good, the ground deer i used had ZERO fat in it, so the bologna is a little crumbly if sliced too thin. on my subsequent attempts, i took much more care when wrapping these in foil for curing, and was sure to pack them tightly and twist the ends tightly. when the cooking was done in the oven, i submerged the rolls in ice-cold water for a while to help stop the cooking and for rapid cooling. the finished product was much better for it, as the rolls of meat (still completely fat-free) stayed together much more like bologna, summer sausage or salami would be expected to. i was able to slice them quite thin with no crumbling; also, the finished product was juicy and not dry at all, even with no fat added.

the next time i make this, i will take pictures for a tutuorial i may also add a small amount of salt.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic